Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Goodmorning and hello :)

Re: Goodmorning and hello :)

Learning photography with the Rolleiflex was very good. Took my first photos with it in 1975...made my first prints in 1977. Clean simple camera -- no lens choices to worry about, hand-held meter, usually on a tripod, closed down to 16 or 22 and on the B setting. Found that I was using it like a view camera (even has a GG), so going to 4x5 seemed like a very natural progression. I enjoyed learning to using the square format. Giving 8"x 8" and 11"x 11" negatives serious thought (as well as 5.5x14...I already do 4x10)!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Good morning,

wow just two years between starting to shoot and
    printing for the first time.
    Today Im gonna develope two rolls of film for the first time Excited to see how difficult that turns out.

Square format is a nice thing, my godfather shoots with a
    Rolleiflex SL66.
    For me its incredebly hard to learn how to use this format.
    But he is good in it

Greetings
    Mat

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nerotheroman View Post
    Square format is a nice thing, my godfather shoots with a
    Rolleiflex SL66.
    For me its incredebly hard to learn how to use this format.
    But he is good in it
    Frame, click. Frame, click. Frame, click.

No problem!

And welcome to the forum.
    I started with medium format as well, my Pentax 6x7, still using it. Before that were a couple of point & shoots, and then I <i>really</i> noticed moonlight. I went for LF when I needed perspective control and found that an equivalent single lens for the 6x7 was more than a whole LF rig.

Think about how you photograph, and let that decide the type of camera you purchase. I still use my first LF camera, a Graflex Super Graphic 4x5. It's still going strong, and I'm still enjoying it. LF can be very, very cheap. You need a decent camera, and just about any lens in good condition will give you excellent results. That's just the way that LF is. Yes, you can spend a zillion dollars on lenses, but you don't have to do that. LF design hasn't changed much since the early 1900s, simply because it hasn't needed to change. It's like the shark: same design, same efficiency, no problem.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans