Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McAfee Site Warnings

McAfee Site Warnings

I am getting these dire warnings in Safari on my desktop from my ATT/McAffee Siteadvisor on every forum page as of about 4 PM. No other sites seem to be involved.

http://www.siteadvisor.com/restricte...3969e64c92c285

Sent from iPad.

Re: McAfee Site Warnings

I just got one as well in Firefox. Sent a request to review the rating.

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    I am getting these dire warnings in Safari on my desktop from my ATT/McAffee Siteadvisor on every forum page as of about 4 PM. No other sites seem to be involved.

http://www.siteadvisor.com/restricte...3969e64c92c285

Sent from iPad.
    I have a thought or two for you on McAfee.

First, in fairness, let me say that I am not an i person. I use no i products. Not that i have any negative opinions on the product.

I have been consulting and teching on PC products and software for over twenty years. Three products that I steer clients away from in security products. They are Norton, McAfee and Kapersky. That has been my position for some years now.

It's sad really, because for some time, I've made a lot of income from correcting the problems created by all three of those products. McAfee in particular is prone to distributing updates to their products that cause problems on user computers.

If I were you, I would look seriously at continued use of McAfee and replacement by another product. I do not find what you describe as any surprise considering my past experience with McAfee. Surely there are other options available for security. A classic situation with McAfee is to distribute an update that compromises the equipment is it supposed to protect, and then fix the problem within a few days to a couple of weeks. In a number of cased, I have resolved the client problem by removing the most recent update and telling the client to wait a week and re-install the update. No problem

Well not really... because the machine is exposed to a hole in the system until the update is corrected.

That's not the only problems I have encountered with McAfee, but that's fairly common.

Find new security software.

I will ad that McAfee must line a bunch of pockets to become the product of choice on many OEM systems sold. Sad.

I use Sophos anti-virus on my Mac. It is highly regarded.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Sophos is the security product loaded on ALL the computers and networks on the various campus's of the Community College where I instruct classes.

I'm just now getting the same McAfee warnings (about 8:30 p.m. Eastern time) on Feb. 11. I'm using a Windows laptop and Explorer. Never seen that warning before.

I am currently on my computer with MSSE from microsoft. It's about 7 PM here PMT. Post some of those sites where you are getting the warnings and I will check them with my computer. Windows 7 with either IE and/or Firefox. I'll be happy to check both. If I don't get the messages you see, I will suspect McAfee. Even more than I do now. In my book it's really the best suspect. I'll check back in a few for site names.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Same here with McAfee on a Windows 7 platform.

Thomas

I get the same warning form McAfee. Another computer with Norton works fine. I looked at the McAfee site report but it didn't show any problems.
    As was said earlier probably another update error.

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Gone now. AOK.