Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Imacon and 4x5

Imacon and 4x5

Can a 4x5 be scanned twice on an imacon in the 120 film setting and stitched to get 3200 ppi rather than 2040?

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Re: Imacon and 4x5

Which model?

949 or hassy x5 or x1

you can load whatever you want into the holders, sheet film or roll film

I've done it, but frankly I'd rather work with a drum scan(hence why I bought one) in the end when working with high(er) dpi settings. The Imacon/Flextights just didn't cut it vs a well done, wet-mounted drum scan(especially on transparencies, with their deep shadow details that got really muddy on the Imacons, in my experience)

-Dan

What drum scanner did you end up buying?

Yes what drum scanner did you end up with? I would also like to know. Thanks.

You can scan a 4x5 with the Imacon scanner 120 holder, and then stitch them together in PS. I scan in 4 segments, keeping the exposure the same, and then stitch. My 4x5 holder does not show the whole negative and for some negatives that is critical. I have the Imacon 646 scaner.

Mike

Thanks for the info. That's what I wanted to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Yes what drum scanner did you end up with? I would also like to know. Thanks.

He's got a DPL 8000

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

this is interesting discussion. i used to have P3 then 343 and then 949 for almost a decade and i have to say that i got to know them a lot. 646 is different scanner and not in any way representative of imacon's in a way we can say same for 343... back to big boys 949 and X5 this scanners can deliver in any aspect. are they ideal? no! is drum better? i dont know, i really dont. but this is what i know: my 949 gave me way better scans then any "professional" scanns that i could get form any remaining drums in my proximity. it gave me way better scans of my old negatives that i scanned in 90's on drums, now am blaming that on my self. its fast to mount film, way faster than any wet mounting and way better then any Nikon (on MF). 949 was fast as lightning and with a Batch adapter i could mount and scan 40 sheets of 4x5 in a background without even noticing it. at the moment i used that scanner on my modern MacPro via FireWire using new Flex color and making 3F archive along with my digital back images (at the time that sounded as a good plan) and i didnt need to run parallel G4 on 9.1.1 transferring tiffs on usb keys. speed, batch capability, modern software and modern platform, superior color negative result (i was shooting most of my paid work on colornegs at that time), small foot print, virtually no maintaining (in 11 years i changed two lamps and one belt); all that made huge advantage over any drum and i could totally over look grain problem or muddy blue cast in shadows on under exposed provia. today non of above has no value. now in a year i shoot amount of 4x5 that i was shooting for one catalog, i shoot maximum 60 rolls of 120 velvia a year and i dont use film for any paid work any more (my clients are cheep, they dont care and they want to see results immediately ). i sold my 949 in order to pay the rent and now i have no scanner at all. would i buy 949 now? no! i cant justify that amount of money in 2014 for CCD scanner! would i buy drum? no! way to much hustle for me and old platforms and vintage softer are not my cup of tea. i would get IQsmart3 that would be my pick. however i am broke bastard so i will probably get some amateur flat bed scanner like 750 and call it a day. thats one of main advantages of LF you can get away with a lot of stuff...
    Imacons are expensive but they should not be looked down at. they are good and rapid way to get really good scan with minimal effort in shortest time and as such they are in class for them self. also comparing models form same generation like 646 and 949 dont do the justice to what imacons are all about. take everything i say with pitch of salt because this is subjective view of a photographer who had scanners and not form professional scan-man.

just my 2c