Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So cold! Winter photography in Indiana

Re: So cold! Winter photography in Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Or in our Minnesota winterland, very little clothing. Our co-eds going for a swim in the lake last week.
    Inspiring, and oddly warming at the same time. I have seen similar sights, but they have involved spherical babushkas, or hairy soldiers on Arctic Warfare Training. Not quite the same.

Everyone smiles on the way in.....

I love the cold of winter! I mostly go out and photos at nigth, often for hours at a time in the Dakotas and Minnesota. I like to photo the small towns and especially trains running at night (using big flash set ups.) Mostly it's been below zero this winter. I never get cold though--I'm wearing a suit by Mountain Hardwear, their "Absolute Zero" model. It's designed for high altitude mountain climbing and polar expeditions. It's kept me warm on nights colder than 40 below. No problem. I personally don't even consider it to be cold until it starts hitting about 20 below. That's when cars begin to have trouble starting. Winter is my favorite time of year for photography, especially winter nights.

I love the cold of winter! I mostly go out and photo at night, often for hours at a time in the Dakotas and Minnesota. I like to photo the small towns and especially trains running at night (using big flash set ups.) Mostly it's been below zero this winter. I never get cold though--I'm wearing a suit by Mountain Hardwear, their "Absolute Zero" model. It's designed for high altitude mountain climbing and polar expeditions. It's kept me warm on nights colder than 40 below. No problem. It's packed with 800 fill goose down--sort of like wearing an expedition grade sleeping bag with arms & legs built in. I personally don't even consider it to be cold until it starts hitting about 20 below. That's when cars begin to have trouble starting. Winter is my favorite time of year for photography, especially winter nights.

I live right next to Lake Superior and when it gets below zero the lake surface becomes a froth of rising steam. I regularly shoot when it's well below zero and with wind chill it's crazy cold. I like the breathing tube recommendation. I think I am going to try that.

This year's winter has been one of the coldest on record, with the lake nearly frozen over, if it hasn't already.