Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another 3880 or...pizza wheel markes resolved by epson?

Ron Miller

Another 3880 or...pizza wheel markes resolved by epson?

I had a 3880 for a few years (bought in '11 I think) that served me well. I was happy with it except for 1 thing that drove me nuts and that was the pizza wheel marks. Tried all the tricks, people would suggest and sometimes they worked for 1 paper/size but not for another. For personal reasons I took time away from photography and a friend bought the 3880 from me (after seeing its issues of course). Now that I am back, I am looking for a printer. Has Epson resolved the pizza wheel marks problem or does that still persist in the 3880? Is there another model you'd suggest?

I only print B&W and about 80% of the time 8x10 and 20% 16x20. Probably would not use rolls.

Regards,.
    Ron

Re: Another 3880 or...pizza wheel markes resolved by epson?

I hope Epson has solved the problem. I just bought a 3880 and it is sitting in a box staring at me, ready to print its first print soon.

Front load instead? That seemed to help when I was watching someone make inkjet negs.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Ron Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Front load instead? That seemed to help when I was watching someone make inkjet negs.
    yes, front load helped sometimes but was very finicky to load. The thing is all these tricks work sometimes. There was no consistency with my 3880 in which tricks worked and which didn't in a print session.

I'm just looking to hear if Epson has fixed the problem or if I'll be taking on the same issues as before in 2011. Other than this very frustrating issue (which wasted a lot of ink and paper, the machine was great).

I've had the 3880 for several years now with no pizza wheel marks at all (I used both the sheet feeder and rear load slot). Used to see them on the Epson 2200 from time to time. I also print mostly B&W with the printer, and the only real problem I've had is with paper that has too much edge curl (Harman by Hannemuhle) which leads to head strikes at the edge of the paper. So I won't use the rest of that paper... but no paper-related problems with Epson, Moab, Ilford and Museo papers at all.

Ron Miller

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    I've had the 3880 for several years now with no pizza wheel marks at all (I used both the sheet feeder and rear load slot). Used to see them on the Epson 2200 from time to time. I also print mostly B&W with the printer, and the only real problem I've had is with paper that has too much edge curl (Harman by Hannemuhle) which leads to head strikes at the edge of the paper. So I won't use the rest of that paper... but no paper-related problems with Epson, Moab, Ilford and Museo papers at all.
    Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by gevalia View Post
    Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

On the other hand, I have owned both a 3800 and a 3880 and got pizza wheel marks with both of them when printing digital negatives, and when printing glossy inkjet prints with some media. Bottom line for me is that Epson has not completely resolved the issue of pizza wheel marks and I am reluctant to recommend it for printing glossy prints, and for digital negatives on OHP, though some people use it for this and do not have problems.

And unfortunately, removing the pizza wheels is not as easy to do as it was with previous generation printers like the 2200.

I know you are not looking for this answer, but that is my experience.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    I used to see the similar problem on 2200 too and simply got it resolved by using the following tips:
    http://www.inkrepublic.com/KnowledgeBase/WheelMarks.asp

For the 3880 printer that I have, I have not seen this problem. And yes, I am using 3rd party inks and refillable carts from Inkrepublic too, http://www.inkrepublic.com/3880-iRefill.asp , no problem so far. When I was using Epson carts, I did not see pizza wheel problem either. Just tired of expansive inks from epson... so switched to 3rd party inks.

Ron Miller

Quote Originally Posted by SKimber View Post
    I used to see the similar problem on 2200 too and simply got it resolved by using the following tips:
    http://www.inkrepublic.com/KnowledgeBase/WheelMarks.asp

For the 3880 printer that I have, I have not seen this problem. And yes, I am using 3rd party inks and refillable carts from Inkrepublic too, http://www.inkrepublic.com/3880-iRefill.asp , no problem so far. When I was using Epson carts, I did not see pizza wheel problem either. Just tired of expansive inks from epson... so switched to 3rd party inks.
    SKimber,

Are you using Epson paper? As I recall, I never had the issue with Epson paper but with Museo, Hahnemühle,and Canson Platine Fibre (favorite) I had it frequently.

Ron Miller

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    On the other hand, I have owned both a 3800 and a 3880 and got pizza wheel marks with both of them when printing digital negatives, and when printing glossy inkjet prints with some media. Bottom line for me is that Epson has not completely resolved the issue of pizza wheel marks and I am reluctant to recommend it for printing glossy prints, and for digital negatives on OHP, though some people use it for this and do not have problems.

And unfortunately, removing the pizza wheels is not as easy to do as it was with previous generation printers like the 2200.

I know you are not looking for this answer, but that is my experience.

Sandy
    Sandy,

I was worried about that. How old is your 3880? Wondering if its possible it has been fixed by epson since.

I may just have to buy the 3880 going in knowing of its probable frustrations just because I can't seem to find an alternative.