Thread: Sinar rails

Sinar rails

Hi to all. I have seen on a well known auction site a "Sinar F with front and rear standards, with rail". The problem is that the rail is not the normal tubular design that I associate with the Sinar F, but seems to have an almost triangular or "A" shape to it. Any thoughts as to what the difference is and how compatible the standards and other components are with the rest of the Sinar systems? Regards-Mike

Sinar rails

I saw that posting, too. The item is an A1 without the bellows (the lister is selling it separately).

The standards will not fit the rail used by other Sinar cameras - Norma, F series or P series.

They do, however, accept the same bellows, lens boards, groundglass and all other attachments that do not involve the rail.

Sinar rails

Thanks, Jerry, that confirms my suspicions. Anyone know the reputation of the "A" type camera re-rigidity and ease of use? I am looking at hybridizing spare parts to custom make a camera for field use only, perhaps based around the Sinar standards, so I'm chasing front and rear standards, rails etc. Regards- Mike

Sinar rails

The Sinar A were around a long time, in different ways - as the Sinar Alpina, the Sinar Wolf and last as the Sinar A1. The rail-mount-blocks are unique due to the extruded aluminium rail, but everything else (if I recall right) is Sinar F stuff. Thus you are stuck with the Sinar F lack of rigidity as I would call it. If You want a rigid field camer in the Sinar system, I would advice You to have a look at the old Sinar Norma system: much more stable than the Sinar F/A and only a little bit heavier, most items (save for the P2 metering back & DB-shutter) compatible with F/C/P. By the way, the Norma is by far the best made (fitting/metal-workmanship) of the Sinars to my nowledge (however, I have never handled the pre-Norma sinar), and will most likely NOT break if hitting ground from tripod height (try that with the F...). As a U standard camera with quick detachable rail & clamp - quick to assemble & deassemble.

Good luck

Sinar rails

Tor, thanks for the advice, I'll keep looking for bits and pieces and add the Norma to my list of things to investigate. Regards-Mike