Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: $100 DYI 8x10 camera

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

$100 DYI 8x10 camera

Witam,

Hi,

Here is my new 8x10 camera.
    It based on Jon Grepstad book: Building a Large Format Camera (http://home.online.no/~gjon/jgcam.htm)
    Because of lack of decent quality hardwood I've decided to make if from 10mm birch plywood. It required some simplifications in desing, but I don't complain.
    Using plywood let me to avoid of gluing most of the frames because I could just cut square and route it if needed.
    My carpenters skills are about to none and this is also one of the reasons why I've choose plywood.
    I have only really basic tools, most sophisticated are $20 jigsaw and $100 hand router.
    Material cost is below $100.
    I've made ground glass by myself using 2mm glass and cosmetic corundum.
    Bellow is made of black cardboard and seems to work fine. I think I'll impregnate it later so I could take it outside.
    I had to make simple wooden tripod head for this camera too.
    There is still some things to do with the camera, it needs to be blackened inside, focusing gear is needed. I think I"ll make new, smaller front standard, too.

It was lots of fun making this camera and still is
    Now it's time to make some photos. Here is the first one from the camera:

Re: $100 DYI 8x10 camera

I think you did a great job with the camera! I wish I had your carpentry skills.
    And good photo too!

Kumar

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    I think you did a great job with the camera! I wish I had your carpentry skills.
    If you will be able to look closer you will see it's far, far from being even decent carpentry job. But it works so I don't care too much

Well done.

RR

That's a fine job of making a practical camera. There are several advantages to such a large front standard. You can improvise huge lenses. You can substitute a long rail and box lens extender, and use the bellows for focusing very long lenses. You can add a twin lens setup for 3-D images, or an array of lenses for multiple images on one sheet of film or positive paper. You could even hide a d****** camera inside for instant photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    That's a fine job of making a practical camera. There are several advantages to such a large front standard. You can improvise huge lenses. You can substitute a long rail and box lens extender, and use the bellows for focusing very long lenses. You can add a twin lens setup for 3-D images, or an array of lenses for multiple images on one sheet of film or positive paper. You could even hide a d****** camera inside for instant photography.
    Good point about large front standard. If I'll make smaller one I'll leave current one and the frame so it could be easily replaced.

Well, I don't have even those rudimentary skills

Kumar

Looks good!
    The large front standard also allows you to use larger packard shutters.

You can quickly blacken the inside with a Marks a lot marker. Two coats and it will never flake off.

Cute. How does the front standard go together? What material (dimensions, in particular) did you use for the rail and how long (not that it matters a lot) is the rail?