Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getty Images

Re: Getty Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    in the "good old days" I was getting ripped off left and right
    speaking of all days! yes i remember! and remember when we ware ripped off by Charles (Ari and me we go way back )
    getting ripped of, humiliated and looked down at is part of working photographers life. all jokes aside i never looked at this huge website as real agencies, Ari pointed it out its bottom feeding. but again am looking at some young kinds shooting like crazy and selling photos for 25c it its just wrong, how can you pay for your traveling, gear, how can they build something if this is general trend. bottom line is that its best to same one thing for 100$ then be in this penny game.

my wife sent me this yesterday and she really made my day

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best...238275259.html

I'll add 2 more issues. I visited the Getty and saw a nice show of Manuel Alvarez Bravo. Not my favorite, but he's pretty terrific. I asked the person at the desk where the rest of it was - was there a "permanent" room with a smattering from their collection. She looked at me like I was crazy. I mean, they have a huge collection and they dole it out one person at a time, every couple of months. I don't live in LA, I hate going there, and I can't go to each one of the shows for the rest of my life to see a few different things. It's horrible! Such hoarding.

The other thing is this. I am tired of seeing web sites that list a bunch of images they think are cool, without even so much as a mention of a photographer, and I can't stand seeing Getty images, Bettman Archive, or any of the other archives listed as the photographer on an image - in books, magazines, websites, you name it. I think all photographers should boycott these places until this changes. I think we need a photographer's union just like the musicians' have. Do you know there are laws on the books that say that if you sell one of your images to someone and they sell it to someone else, you are entitled to a percentage of the sale? Has it ever happened? I think not.

Just my 2 cents.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

A friend of ours' daughter had some photos taken of her at a retreat/spa by a Getty photographer. I thought it would be a nice gesture to get the necessary license for this mom to get a few prints of her daughter, for her own wall. When the shopping cart got up around $300 I decided not to go through with it.

Getty Images has just announced that they will allow free non-commercial use of about 35 million of their images (story at http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/03..._for_bloggers/). The article I read notes that the photos will be hosted by Getty and displayed through an embedding tool that will allow Getty to track the use of the image and display advertisements, allowing Getty to make money off other people's creativity without having to pay them.

Bob

And this is why I make pictures for myself. So infuriating, agencies like this and many others... AND they get away with it.

multiplex

ad agencies, getty and others have been scouring flickr for a long time
    lowballing photo enthusiasts for usage
    people are just happy to get
    their photographs used in a ad campaign nevermind the
    payment is like 50 or 100$ ... and " clients" ( like mcDo, and cocacolla ) suggest they only
    have a limited budget so it makes it alright ..

kind of a different world compared to only a decade ago
    when a stock agency asked for 300 chromes, then another 500
    before they even thought of anything else ...

Quote Originally Posted by cikaziva View Post

my wife sent me this yesterday and she really made my day

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best...238275259.html
    I love this!!!!! This is exactly why I am still a plumber who enjoys photography for my own sake. Trying to make a few bucks from it nearly destroyed my love of the medium.

I've been trying to leave Getty for quite some time now, it's impossible to get in touch with them. It was a great mistake to join them (via flickr, which I wish I will leave too, soon)