Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Last Movie Film Lab

Re: The Last Movie Film Lab

Maybe you are not kidding. Not sure what those symbols were. FB = FaceBook.

I forgot I do have 16mm film left. I have a Bolex and 3 projectors. I used to show large crowds 16mm films 15 years ago until Chicago Public Library destroyed their huge 16mm lending stock. We tried arguing that we, as individuals, are few actually renting the films, but we show them to big audiences. We were not allowed to buy either. In the end they threw them out! No matter, the destruction of all things film continues as if 'Fahrenheit 451'. During parties you run the film backwards without sound projected onto to odd surfaces, like other buildings and long narrow hallways.

I may shoot my 16mm, but I will DIY develop it 'dip and dunk' in buckets, adding serendipity to the process. I only recently discovered how easy reversal can be. Drying is the tough part.

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    Thanks for a wake up call, Randy. I have about 3K feet of 16mm stock in my freezer, that should sell asap. I'm not surprised that FotoKem is still in operation (they were v. solid), but Monaco (in SF) already altered their ops to digital....and ouch for the Bay Area.

What's a FB ? :>) :>)

Les

Re: The Last Movie Film Lab

The film doc class I took at the local film cooperative (Echo Park Film Center) encourages DIY reversal b&w processing. Some of the students in my class did, using home brew cafenol in a LOMO processing tank, it was pretty quick. To dry they just hung the film up in the theater hung from the sprocket holes with paper clips, no biggie. Another story if it's 400', but the 50' was easy and looked about the same as what came back from Yale.