Thread: Onyx 24x30 Portfolio cases (Any interest)

Onyx 24x30 Portfolio cases (Any interest)

Not sure where to post this. I have been looking for some 24x30 portfolio cases. Not the Solander museum cases as they are extremely heavy. So, after searching and searching, I contacted Archival Methods to see what the possibility of getting some 24x30 Onyx Portfolio cases (1 3/8 inch depth) made with black lining. If you go to their website you can see what they look. However, to get them made (for some reason they only go up to 22x28) I would need to order a minimum of 20. I need about 5. They have quoted me $95 a piece plus shipping to me. I thought I would see if there are any others that might be interested. The finished size is actually 24 1/4 x 30 1/4 x 1 3/8.

So, if anyone has any interest, please post here and let me know how many you might be interested in getting. Thanks. Jim

Re: Onyx 24x30 Portfolio cases (Any interest)

Hey Jim,

I don't need cases that big at the moment but could you comment on the quality of the Onyx cases in general? Are the one's that large sturdy enough to hold prints without risk of the box bending or failing? I'm looking at the Solander cases, too--but, as you say, heavier and twice the price.

--Darin

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    Hey Jim,

I don't need cases that big at the moment but could you comment on the quality of the Onyx cases in general? Are the one's that large sturdy enough to hold prints without risk of the box bending or failing? I'm looking at the Solander cases, too--but, as you say, heavier and twice the price.

--Darin
    Darin,

I have one of the Onyx 20x24 cases and they are very well made. The museum cases are so heavy empty, and when filled (they hold a huge amount of prints) are even heavier although incredibly sturdy. I have worn some fabric off off the museum cases. I really would like some of the 24x30 Onyx. I like to use Epson's Exhibition Fiber in 24x30 sheets. I then print my "final" test print as a 24x19 on the paper. Gives it a wonderful border. The it gets filed in the appropriate box so that particular Onyx holds the same type of images. They make a 22x28 Onyx and I am going to take one of my 24x30 pieces and trim it down to 22x28 to see if it looks as nice. The border will be smaller and I have a feeling, it will not have as nice a look. Anyway, to answer your question, they do seem to be extremely well made. They also make an EZ carrier that will help hold the cases making transporting them much easier. Hope this helps. Jim

Jim,

I would like 3 if you ever decide getting them.

Rudi.