Thread: Fast films for hand-held LF

Fast films for hand-held LF

Back when I used to do a lot of 35mm photojournalism stuff, I loved shooting Tmax 3200. I don't mind the grain or the loss of shadow detail, and it was great to be able to just shoot with available light and not have to worry about setting up a tripod or blowing out the image (and calling attention to yourself) by using a flash.

Since I finally got a monorail camera for landscape stuff, I'd like to start shooting some hand-held stuff with my Speed Graphic - including some night scenes. The only problem is that from what I can tell, the fastest 4x5 format film is 400. Given longer LF lenses, this ends up being a double-whammy compared to 35mm. Anyone have any recommendations for a film available in 4x5 that I could reliably push 2-3 stops (or more)? Developer suggestions would be great too.

Thanks!

--Tim

Octogenarian

Hi Tim,

Since the Speed Graphic was designed to be used with photo flash bulbs, you certainly would not be choosing the ideal tool to use for low light, hand held photography. The most light sensitive film available in 4X5 sheet film, that I am aware of, is Ilford HP-5+. This film can be up-rated to around E.I. 650 when developed in Ilfotec DD-X. With a f4.5, or f5.6 lens, probably wide open, you may be able to get the job done using a 1/8th, or 1/15th of a second shutter speed, bracing the camera with a monopod.

Try Ilford Delta 3200 in a 6x12 roll film back.

multiplex

hi tim

you can always use tri-x and push the heck out of it

I use 4X5 HP5 rated @1600 and processed in Microphen. It is very sharp and the expected loss of shadow detail is quite acceptable. My Rodenstock lenses perform very well even at f8 for low light hand held shooting with my Linhof Master Technika. Focusing is very acurate with the rangefinder coupled lenses.

4X5 Tri-X (TXP 320) is a different emulsion than 400 speed Tri-X. TXP does not push as well as its 400 speed cousin.

The most pushable 4X5 sheet film is HP5. Long live Ilford.

My usual combo for handheld LF is TXT (haven't used it up, so I haven't switched to TXP 320 yet) in Acufine, rated at EI 640, and in low light, I use a fast lens, like the 135/3.5 Planar. I've been experimenting with XR-1 and I can get an real EI around 1280, but contrast is lower than I'd like (even with long development times and agitation tricks), so I'm seeing if I can tweak the formula to get more contrast without causing other problems. Info on XR-1 can be found at unblinkingeye.com.

Tim, I hand hold my Crown graphic all the time, as i usually chasing foliage and trains or landscapes and don't want to use a tripod. In the winter in Vermont, too cold to mess with the tripod, and usually shoot 100 iso film, in Kodak and Polaroid. T-55 in the winter around zero degrees I shoot at an iso of 20 hand held and shutter set at 1/30th or less, and have had good results. So Pracytice hand holding and firing the shutter at all speeds until your comfortable with that then try some film. I hold my camera with my arms tucked in to my body, to mimic the tripod, in windy weather, i lean against antyhing stationary. Good luck

Octogenarian

Bill, are you still able to get shadow detail in your low light (night scenes) when you use an ISO 100 film, or Polaroid Type55 film? Holding a Speed Graphic steady for long exposures is a real challenge. I would think that the faster the film, the better, if you absolutely cannot use a tripod or monopod.