Thread: Starter Scanner help

Starter Scanner help

I could use some advice . I want to get a scanner to scan my 4X5 and 8X10 images so I can post them on the forum .I seek two things in my scanner , low cost and simple , basic operation .

Re: Starter Scanner help

Hi John,

do you want to scan from the slide/negs or do you want to scan your prints? I guess you mean a scanner which is capable of scanning film directly.
    In this case, you have not too much choices - you could go for a high-end scanner like a drumscanner (e.g. Heidelberg Tango, I have no experience with these, but the results are definitely superior over every other solution). Price definitely beyond 5k USD, I think. Same for a Imacon/Hasselblad Flextight.

Another choice (luckily much cheaper) would be a Epson V700 or V750 flatbed scanner. It is able to scan film up to 8x10", the performance is really good. I use it for MF and 4x5 and it gives excellent results for rather a fair price (I paid around 650€).
    There were other flatbed scanners available which could also do 4x5, I think for example the Microtech ArtixScan, some Quato models and so on. The Epsons are, to my knowledge, the only ones which are available new.

There is a scanner comparison here on lfphotography.info, which allows you to compare several models against each others. Donīt be too shocked by the "bad" results of the Epson when compared to drumscanners etc. IMHO it is a great value for the money. I myself made scans of 6x7cm negs to produce Lambda prints up to sizes of 100*80cm, with fantastic quality.

P.S.: I just noticed you said low cost. In this case, go for the Epson (probably can get it used). And do yourself a favor and buy a copy of VueScan (scanning software), which works fine with this scanner and gives good results with ease. IMHO, SilverFast is way too complicated and cumbersome.

The Epson Clearance Center is a safe bet for refurbished 4990/V700/V750 scanners, which all scan up to 8x10 film.

Very fair prices, excellent condition, all accessories/software, free shipping, one-year Epson warranty.

That's how I got my 4990 – $279.

The 4990 appears quite rarely these days and goes fast, but the V700/V750 + their pro versions appear more often.

Do you already make contact prints for proofing or other purposes? If your purpose is just to get scans adequate for casual web posting, you can get a decent print scanner for less than $100. One example I happen to be familiar with is the Epson V37, but Canon generally has several inexpensive print scanners in their line too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollinhofuji View Post
    In this case, you have not too much choices - you could go for a high-end scanner like a drumscanner (e.g. Heidelberg Tango, I have no experience with these, but the results are definitely superior over every other solution). Price definitely beyond 5k USD, I think. Same for a Imacon/Hasselblad Flextight.
    You could also get a Howtek 4500 for about $1500K. In my opinion, its better than either of these scanners, by a fairly wide margin.

You aren't correct, there are a lot of other choices. There are many brands which work well, from Scanmate to high end Eversmarts, etc. It's the luck of the draw whether any particular one is available this instant.

If you want cheap, consumer level scanners are available. however, you haven't specified anything about quality, so there is nothing people can say to help you... consumer level and professional level are quite different, as in everything.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Do you already make contact prints for proofing or other purposes? If your purpose is just to get scans adequate for casual web posting, you can get a decent print scanner for less than $100. One example I happen to be familiar with is the Epson V37, but Canon generally has several inexpensive print scanners in their line too.
    Hey Oren , you hit it on the head . I just want to scan my contacts for casual web posting . I'm considering your suggestions.

If the V37 fits your needs, I remember noticing it's available in the Epson link above for $59.

"What's in the box," according to Epson:

--Epson Perfection V37 color scanner
    --CD-ROM software
    --Start Here poster
    --Hi-Speed USB 2.0 cable
    --AC adapter and power cable

Les

If you don't have an aversion to digital (like some), you can set up your DSLR or even P&S on a stand and photograph your negative in overlapping segments and then stitch them together. You need a light below...that pretty much goes without saying. Everything including WB needs to be in manual. It's a bit of fast and funky solution, but it's reasonable in cost....especially if you already have some of the items. You could get some super sturdy "photo" stand/s v. reasonably, that were actually designed to hold a monitor.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    If the V37 fits your needs, I remember noticing it's available in the Epson link above for $59.

"What's in the box," according to Epson:

--Epson Perfection V37 color scanner
    --CD-ROM software
    --Start Here poster
    --Hi-Speed USB 2.0 cable
    --AC adapter and power cable
    That looks good to me.

If you have a DSLR, a light table and mattboard mask is probably the simplest/cheapest way forward. You'd already know how to adjust tones, white balance with the DSLR. Even with an epson v700, you're going to have to invest some effort into learning and doing, it's not difficult computer work, but there are a million ways to do it and some ways have better results than others. If it's just for the web, ignore the suggestion about stitching photos together; most monitors are only about 2 megapixel.