Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing exposed film on the road

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Storing exposed film on the road

Hello, last year I've acquired a changing tent for those occasions when I am on a trip and need to change film.

I've been wondering - how do you store the exposed the film once you take it out of the film holders? Do you have several boxes to store the sheets according to N- / N / N+ ? Or do you put them all in one box and have a clever system of marking each sheet?

Any ideas would be welcome.

Thank you.
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

Re: Storing exposed film on the road

I'm taking my first long trip with LF, and bringing along more loaded film holders than I think I will possibly go through.

I have these film holders all labled with post it notes saying what film is inside, holder number, and boxes to mark off date, location of shot, filter used and exposure. Plus enough rom for additional notes at the bottom.
    I then store them in individual zipp lock bags, and keep my specialty films separate in a large zipp lock freezer bag.

Just in case I somehow run short I have an additional 25 sheets + a change bag, and a second empty film box. I will just leave my specialty film in it's holders until I get home no matter what so I don't mix them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Artist View Post
    I'm taking my first long trip with LF, and bringing along more loaded film holders than I think I will possibly go through.
    I am in an opposite situation. Just 8 holders (18x24cm) and almost a week to visit several abbeys, cathedrals and other places...

Andreios,

I hate changing bags, and especially for larger negatives; IMO you're just asking for dust and damage. I like to unload and reload in a darkened hotel bathroom. I assume you'll be staying somewhere on your trip and not camping, so see if you can find a windowless room or one you can darken adequately. It often doesn't take too much darkening if you work at night.

Ideally, you would have an empty film box for each development scheme (N, N+1, N-1, etc.). However, when I'm shooting, I find that most of my negatives are indicated for one development; If I'm outside in fair weather working, most negs are N, if I'm working in cloudy conditions or open shade a lot, N+1, etc. When that's the case, I'll often only unload the majority of the negs (e.g., all the Ns) and reload those holders. Often that gives me enough to finish the trip.

Hope this helps,

Doremus

Doremus, he´s actually using a changing TENT - huge difference imho. I also use one, and never had any issues with dust. I always wipe it with a wet cloth immediately before using it, the moisture makes the dust stick to the walls...works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by andreios View Post
    Do you have several boxes to store the sheets according to N- / N / N+ ? Or do you put them all in one box and have a clever system of marking each sheet?
    Yes to both, though not particularly clever. If in one box, I use the cardboard divider/protectors that come with the film to establish individual development areas, simply bottom to top, by feel. One thing that has put the whole situation at ease for me, is using only one or two types of film, to further cut down on the variability. How many types of film do you really need, other than B/W, color, and perhaps fast, slow?

Thanks for all suggestions.
    ROL, I think I'll be using only one type of film, as is usual with me, so really the only concern is separating the various N +/- sheets so that they won't get mixed up. I have only recently moved to the larger format so I don't have more than one or two empty boxes.. Will have to look round.

Changing tent is a fine thing, but of course a dark room is preferred, though not always available. And I think there will be some camping involved... Please, keep your tips and experiences coming.

To keep that sheets sorted how about getting some sort of envelopes and using a brail system to identify them.

Quote Originally Posted by andreios View Post
    I have only recently moved to the larger format so I don't have more than one or two empty boxes...
    That's okay, if not ideal, if you're careful.

On one extended trip w/ just a few holders, I had only one film-storage box (and no cardboard "dividers" inside), so I had to make careful notes about which sheet was on the bottom, which sheet was on top of that one, etc. When I got home, first thing I did was split the sheets into appropriate multiple boxes (N-1, N, N+1); otherwise, I just knew I’d either lose my field notes, or the notes would, eventually, stop making sense to me. BTW, while I was splitting the single stack of sheets into their multiple boxes, in the dark, I found this simple sounding task to be more dangerous and confusing than it sounds! It takes some pre-planning before you switch off the lights.

-----
    As for others who still enjoy the privilege of traveling w/ envelope film (Quick Loads, etc.), you can use each envelope’s unique, factory-stamped number to help organize your separate field notes about them. Or sometimes, I’ll write brief notes directly onto the envelope ... carefully!