Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 x 5 film holders ABCs

Re: 4 x 5 film holders ABCs

I have a bunch bought used that I've accumulated over the years. Personally, I think the key to buying used is to look at the corners that go in first. Are they all beat up and worn? Stay away. When I see perfect ones of any era on Ebay with a cheap opening bid and low shipping relative to the number of holders (figure bid + holders, divide by holders, stay under $4 each, is my rule) , I throw on a minimum bid and let it sit there. Once in a while, for whatever reason, no one else bids, and I win. I just bought 11 wooden Graflex brand holders on Ebay that were virtually brand new. Including shipping, they cost me $2 each. I guess because they were old and not plastic (???!!) no one wanted them.

Of all the holders I have, I think the wooden Graflex type are the best made.

Wow, a great response. Thanks for your help, everyone.

I have purchase new and use both work well
    I did sell some for cash, sold them for $6.00 to $10.00 plus shipping

Hope this helps
    Dave

PS I am not sell any more at this time

Nancy, I have bought Riteways and Fidelity Elites still in the box for cheap. The owners didn't know if they had been used or were new old stock. They sure looked new. I also own some almost new Toyo's that came with a camera I purchased. I have never bought new film holders.

I have sent you a private message about used film holders. Of course if you feel more comfortable buying new go ahead. If I bought new I would spend the extra money on the Toyo's myself. New 4x5 holders are not real expensive. Not like new 8x10 film holders!

When buying Toyos, smell them first. Don't buy stinkers.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    When buying Toyos, smell them first. Don't buy stinkers.
    I bought a set of American made Klein screwdrivers and the handles stunk real bad. My daughter and wife had a fit. I took them outside and let them off gas for a few hours and the smell went away. My used Toyo film holders don't stink but I know there have been complaints about new ones sometimes.

The funny thing is most everyone seems to love the new car smell and it's the same thing! When I bought my Jeep new I took the top down and got rid of the smell as soon as possible!

This is too funny - stinky film holders. Rest assured that I am immune to most stink - I am a pathologist.
    Alan, I am amazed that you could FIND American made screwdrivers. I go into Home Depot and everything I pick up seems to be made in China. The one advantage of made-in-China tape measures is that some have both inches and centimeters on the same tape.

Nancy, some Ace Hardware stores carry German screwdrivers. Look for ones with a black handle and red rotating top.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyP View Post
    This is too funny - stinky film holders. Rest assured that I am immune to most stink - I am a pathologist.
    Alan, I am amazed that you could FIND American made screwdrivers. I go into Home Depot and everything I pick up seems to be made in China. The one advantage of made-in-China tape measures is that some have both inches and centimeters on the same tape.
    Nancy, I'm very familiar with Klein tools and I ordered them online. They are very popular with Electricians. I was also in the building trades as a Sheet Metal Worker. It's so depressing for me to walk into Home Depot and Lowes and see all the American tool names which I knew and loved that are now manufactured in China.

Most of my 4x5 holders are old kind of beat up Riteways. They work fine, and I probably paid about $5 a piece for them over the years. Some of the fancier ones will be a little easier to remove/install the dark slide, but as far as being functional the old Riteways are fine.