Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feeler: Any interest in self-printing and scanning service?

Drew Wiley

Re: Feeler: Any interest in self-printing and scanning service?

Maintaining equip might be more of a headache than you anticipate. And even for something as simple as a matcutter you'd need liability insurance. But combining
    some sort of clean work space (matting, mounting) might help pay for your overhead, since print sales tend to be cyclical. Rental is a touch subject. They have rental darkroom right down the street here, but I'd never want any of those student monkey types anywhere near anything I own. Same reason I don't rent equip
    to contractors here. Let someone else do it. I do make a heck of a lot of money selling the same stuff over and over again to the rental outfits themselves, cause
    people just keep doin dumb things. But a tightly controlled collective, with precise rules of who's in or not in the club, might be realistic.

I'll do my best to support, I'll definitely be a regular at your shop. I think a community is definitely brewing here on the northern California coast and I'm excited at the prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    I'll do my best to support, I'll definitely be a regular at your shop. I think a community is definitely brewing here on the northern California coast and I'm excited at the prospect.
    That would be great--my biggest worry is that I will build it and no one will come. It will just be me, all alone. But that's o.k., too. It will give me a great place to work on photos and to write. So I guess it is sort of a win-win.

--Darin

Drew Wiley

I have an analogous plan (but just for myself). Sliding walls for instant gallery makeovers, with floor space dedicated to clean functions like matcutting and mounting.My big flat files double as work benches, but I've made them look good for potential gallery use. Also the abilty to use the area for studio-style shoots.
    I used to do this very thing in a large room in my own house, and it worked well for both commercial photog and print sales... but alas, marriage and a bunch of
    cats have spoiled any attempt at the kind of housekeeping necessary to keep this area functional in an income sense. But it still functions for display mockups,
    mat cutting, and uh, er, more unwanted furniture storage. I've got all the necessary shop equip to do nice display spaces, but not much spare time at the moment.

Darin - be prepared for that from the forums. Over the years when I would announce shows or workshops, the traffic very , very limited visits from here and APUG .
    I don't think you should rely on sales from Forum sector.

You will need to market your self locally and make your place interesting enough so that they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    That would be great--my biggest worry is that I will build it and no one will come. It will just be me, all alone. But that's o.k., too. It will give me a great place to work on photos and to write. So I guess it is sort of a win-win.

--Darin

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Darin - be prepared for that from the forums. Over the years when I would announce shows or workshops, the traffic very , very limited visits from here and APUG .
    I don't think you should rely on sales from Forum sector.
    You will need to market your self locally and make your place interesting enough so that they will come.
    Most (nearly all) photo forums are gear/shopping oriented. Not that many photo buyers. That's o.k. I'm sure I'll meet a few of the people here in person. Should be fun. The buyers, if any, will come from the local region or from all those visitors passing through.

--Darin

Thats how I see it as well, good luck with this project.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    Most (nearly all) photo forums are gear/shopping oriented. Not that many photo buyers. That's o.k. I'm sure I'll meet a few of the people here in person. Should be fun. The buyers, if any, will come from the local region or from all those visitors passing through.

--Darin

If I was going to offer scanning rental for a fee, I'd get a good scanner.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    If I was going to offer scanning rental for a fee, I'd get a good scanner.

Lenny
    If they want anything really good I'll send them to you!

--Darin