Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef How much time?

Re: Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef How much time?

If Anasazi/Ancestral Puebloan ruins are your thing, then the Coomb Ridge and Cedar Mesa area is spectacular. Tassoni's A Hiking Guide to Cedar Mesa is well worth the investment, and many sites can be accessed with short hikes. It would be best to camp out of your 4x4 to explore this area, or stay at Natural Bridges NM, which is also spectacular. I think the east side of Cedar Mesa, up Snowflat Road, is worth the very rough drive. Accessing the area from Blanding is also possible.

If you are hoteling, then Moab is a perfect staging ground. I love Capitol Reef and am anxious to return to Cathedral Valley, but you might want to drop it in favor of a Moab-based trip. Or a Moab-Blanding based trip.

If you are shooting color, the light in all of these areas gets very harsh very fast, unless you are lucky enough to have rain or snow, or even clouds. I always tell friends that I have a love/hate relationship with SE Utah. Its beautiful until 1 hour after sunrise, and 1 hour before sunset, and dry, dusty, windy and rugged in between. I always miss the switchbacks of a Rockies hike when I'm trudging into a canyon or along the sandy floor.
    Peter Y.

Great tips, Peter.

Plus an astonishing b/w filter tip:

One should try a forum search w/ the terms "green filter" + "canyon."

The overwhelming testimony suggests a match made in Heaven.

Drew Wiley

Moab itself tends to be a zoo, but then I've spent up to a week backpacking in certain canyons in that general area without seeing anyone else - and I do mean
    places as spectacular as anything in any of the Natl Parks. Even in an insanely popular place like Arches about all you've gotta do is wander a little off the beaten
    track to find solitude. Just don't get lost or forget to carry plenty of water. For a drive-thru area, Capitol Reef is wonderful, esp if you connect to it from Hwy 12
    from the Bryce area. The desert panorama from up above in the aspens is particularly rewarding, esp in autumn, though ya gotta be conscious of timing snowstorms in all that area. One interesting thing about the Moab area is that you really aren't very far from islands of mtns, like the Abajos or San Juans. It's easy to commute, spending a day in slickrock and the nite in the aspens. The riverside drive along the Colorado between Moab and Cisco is also a rewarding easy drive,
    right past the Fisher Towers. Be careful with any unpaved roads - even 4WD might not be enough if you encounter deep sand or wet slickrock. And in such cases,
    above all carry lots of extra water and supplies, including a decent sleeping bag. Early on I discovered that sagebrush makes an excellent traction device beneath
    tires spinning in the sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Early on I discovered that sagebrush makes an excellent traction device beneath
    tires spinning in the sand.
    Thanks. An excellent tip that I hopefully won't have to use.

If Anasazi/Ancestral Puebloan ruins are your thing, then the Coomb Ridge and Cedar Mesa area is spectacular.
    again read House of Rain.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Speaking of literature, the Escalante area brings to mind the fascinating story of Everett Ruess. If unfamiliar with the tale of his life, look for "Everett Ruess, A Vagabond for Beauty" by W.L. Rusho. There is an Adams, Lange, and Weston connection. Perhaps you will find his remains!
    Hope you have a wonderful experience in the region.