Thread: Paterson Auto Print Washer

Paterson Auto Print Washer

I just received one of these, used, for a good price, but there's no manual with it, and I have no idea how to install the "plunger" or whatever that thing is that regulates the water-inlet. Is there anybody who can make a scan of the manual and mail it to me ? Or can I find it anywhere on the net (no luck with google ..) ?

Thanks,
    Stefan.

Re: Paterson Auto Print Washer

Stefan,

I had one of these for years, but I quickly discovered that the rocking action combined with the bumps on the separators will wear holes in the emulsion of fibre-based prints at effective washing times and temperature. I disabled the plunger mechanism, sealed it up, and added a plastic hose fitting high on the opposite end of the tank. I would just adjust flow to a trickle and leave the basket locked in place. Every once in a while during the wash I would agitate gently by hand to dislodge any air bubbles.

Neal

Hell Neal,

Yes, I read somewhere about that problem, but others did not seem to have it. Anyway, I would like to know how to connect it all correctly before disabling anything.
    I found how the plunger works, but the hose for incoming water has too large a diameter to fit on the outside; it comes of easily; also, I don't understand the "exit" side: the water goes up from the bottom, that's clear, but why is there that rectangle opening with plug on top ? When should I leave it open or close it ?

Thanks,
    Stefan.

Hi Stefan,

I have a couple of these washers and like them very much. Unfortunately, I'm not in the same country as my darkroom at the moment.

Nevertheless, I'll try to help. First, the water inlet is rather small. You may have to use a smaller inlet hose. I found that I could use a short piece of smaller diameter tubing to act as an adapter. The smaller tube goes inside the larger inlet hose and the whole thing goes over the washer inlet. In the worst case, you could use a hose clamp, but be careful not to tighten to much and break something.

I imagine you have found that there is a small ball that goes inside the plunger mechanism that stops the water, and builds the pressure to activate the agitator/plunger. It just rattles around loose until the water is turned on, so don't worry about it.

As for the rectangular hole: there should be a plastic plug that fits it to seal it for draining the washer with siphon action. When operating, the hole should be open and the water should drain out of the hose rather slowly.

As for the agitating action damaging prints: I've never experienced this. However I make sure to load the prints with the paper back toward the back (i.e., drain/inlet) side of the washer so that when the plunger pushes, the force is against the paper base, not the emulsion side. Also, it is easy to overdo the action of the agitator. Adjust your water flow so that the agitator barely works. I always turn the water down till the agitator stops, then turn it up just a bit and set the agitator in motion with my hand. It should move rather slowly when operating correctly.

FWIW, I think that the Paterson washer needs a bit of help with water input. The design as it is lets water in to only one corner. I've added an extra perforated piece of tubing to mine that is positioned over the top of the washer and sprays/drips water onto the entire surface. I think this makes it more efficient. I always worried that the front prints were not getting any fresh water. I routinely test my prints for residual hypo and have had good results with my two 11x14 modified Paterson washers.

Best,

Doremus

Stefan,

The black rectangular plug is for emptying the tank. It is normally not plugged. When the washing is done you put that plug in and most of the water will siphon out through the hose. Mine usually gets around three-quarters of the water out. I had problems when I used it as a washer for 8x10 negatives. The agitation and resulting turbulance around the dividers caused density differences in my pyrocat negatives.

Mike

@doremus: ok, thanks, so everything seems to be normal. I'll try with a smaller hose as an adapter, but it's strange that Paterson supplies a hose that doesn't fit !

@Michael: I didn't think about washing 8x10 negatives with this, but I might try it. I don't understand how washing can influence the density (but I never worked with pyrocat) ?

Thanks,
    Stefan.

Ok, I got it working ! Thanks all !

Stefan.

"I quickly discovered that the rocking action combined with the bumps on the separators will wear holes in the emulsion of fibre-based prints at effective washing times and temperature"
    Ooops, I never haven`t experienced this... I wonder what "effective washing times and temperature" means... maybe I set the thing to have a very slow and soft action (actually the slowest to move the basket). The only problem I found along the years is that the washer use loads of water, the basket get curved and then difficult to fill, the pump use to wear or break, and the original hoses get dry and rigid.

"... the hose for incoming water has too large a diameter to fit on the outside; it comes of easily... "
    Notice that the hose is originally glued with a generous ammount of glue (at least on the one I bought forty years ago); once the glue goes off, the hose come off easily. It is "normal".
    I`m not sure but looks like current hoses are made of the very same material of older ones... they look to be water sensitive. If so, this is not the best one can use. Plastics have been highly improved since then; buy soft, flexible PVC or even silicone, amongst others. They are much better materials.

For those interested on this washer, there are available parts on line; Patersonphotographic.com