Thread: Frustrating Issue Epson 4900 Printer

Frustrating Issue Epson 4900 Printer

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and I'm hopeful I may find some help for my Epson 4900. I use the 4900 and an Epson 3880 regularly and out of the blue the prints from the 4900 appear slightly washed out and have a "cooler" look to them than what I am seeing on my calibrated monitor. I printed the same image on the 3880 on the same paper type and the print matched very closely to what the monitor displayed. I did all the usual things to corrrect the issue on the 4900, head cleaning, verifying no cloging to find there were two but with subsequent cleaning all are now clean. I did a head alignment. At the end the results were the same. I called Epson professional imaging and the rep suggested I uninstall and reinstall the print drivers which I did. I made sure the drivers and firmware are up to date.
    I've been printing with Epson Exhibition Fiber paper and, to save money while getting poor prints I tried Red River polar luster. Again, the images printed on the 3880 were good while those printed on the 4900 were slightly washed out and cool. I use Photoshop CS6 for file prep and printing. Using a PC with Windows 7, 64 bit. Up until 2 days ago both printers made nearly identical prints. I'm not sure what to try next. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Peter

Re: Frustrating Issue Epson 4900 Printer

Someone here might be able to help, but it sounds like you're confusing large format printing with large format photography. The latter being photographs shot with a large format camera ie: view camera. This forum is populated by large format photographers who generally do darkroom printing of their large format negatives.
    You're more likely to find help on a different forum, such as ...
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/W...kjet_Printers/

Wish I had more to contribute. We have 5 4900s where I teach and the only problem I have ever seen that remotely looks like this is a clogged ink channel.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I'd make sure that you aren't ''double'' profiling. Typically you have the printer profile turned off while the printing program turned on to the proper printer/paper combination. Also make sure the profile for your paper/printer are correct. If you are using a 3880 to compare with, then maybe that's the profile you are using on the 4900.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
    I'd make sure that you aren't ''double'' profiling. Typically you have the printer profile turned off while the printing program turned on to the proper printer/paper combination. Also make sure the profile for your paper/printer are correct. If you are using a 3880 to compare with, then maybe that's the profile you are using on the 4900.
    Peter, thanks and yes I am aware I'm in a large format photograpy site and not one regarding printing per se, but reading through the threads I saw questions and responses to larger printers and is why I brought the issue here.
    Greg, thank you. I made sure the profiles I am using were for the specific printer whether the 3880 or 4900 and did not mix intermix these. I don't believe I can be double profiling since I have Photoshop and not the printer handling the color management. I do do a soft proof before hand in Photoshop and this has never caused an issue before but I will skip this step and see if this had any effect.
    As I mentioned this is frustrating as the 4900 has been flawless for a few years and this came about basically out of the blue.

I'd double check to see what the 4900 is doing. I have a 3800, 4800 and a 9600 and for some reason the 4800 wants to truncate the settings to a place I don't want them to be. The other two behave themselves... You may have to go as so far to look at ink saturation percentage. Perhaps the slider got moved by gremlins.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.