Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Next View Camera conference

The Next View Camera conference

There is a rifle (WW One?) into the muzzle of which entered an enemy bullet a split second after it was fired. The two bullets met and exited mid-barrel. Another rifle which was hit with lightening while being carried by a soldier over his shoulder. Became a corkscrew. Also cannons of every type. A really big show.

Octogenarian

O.K. John,

AA flight 1916 goes from DFW to BDL, non-stop, and AA flight 1607 returns, non-stop, with ideal times that fit my schedule. I was searching on Orbitz and didn't see those flights listed there. If everything goes as planned, it looks like I might be seeing you at the conference after all.

I still believe that you should get a job with the Springfield Chamber of Commerce.

You can fly direct to Boston from most major cities and then rent a car and drive west for about 100 miles to Springfield.

steve simmons

Steve, as a native may I gently discourage that idea. Logan Airport is on the ocean side of Boston, which means one must drive back through the city to reach any destination.

Metropolitan Boston is a horrible amalgamation of several colonial towns whose twisty streets were designed for horses. Much like London. Someone once told me that there were six different Boylston Streets in greater Boston. I believe it.

In addition, everything is under construction. All at once. Big Dig, you know. The place looks like 1945 Berlin, with cranes, piles of dirt and closed roads everywhere. The last time I was there the taxi wound up backing down a one-way street for three blocks the wrong way to get me to my destination.

Drivers respond to these problems by adopting the general rule that everyone has the right-of-way. Much courage is required.

By far, the best solution is Bradley International (BDL) in Windsor Locks, CT. Plan B would be to investigate Worcester (pronounced “Wus-ter”) Airport which is halfway between Boston and Springfield. About 30 miles by the Massachusetts Turnpike (“MassPike”) actually.

Actually driving into and out of Logan airport has gotten incredibly easy since the opening of the Ted Williams tunnel and the Mass Pike extension. There is no need to travel any of the local roads in Boston proper to get to Springfield. All you need to do is leave the airport heading west through the Ted Williams tunnel which puts you right on the Pike heading west. A couple hours more of driving and you are in Springfield.

While there is still construction going on for the completion of the "Big Dig", the route you will be taking is very free. With the exception of a few toll booths, you won't have significant delays on the journey.

Dan

Hey, John Cook: how could you forget to mention that treasure, a few miles north on I-91, The Yankee Candle Factory (busses welcome)?

Seriously though, you should keep in mind the scale of Eastern states is not the same as Western ones. You can drive north through Massachusetts - from Connecticut to Vermont - in about an hour. If there is some image in the back your mind that says, "New England" to you, you can probably find a suitable location nearby to make your version of that image. If you're looking for covered bridges, quaint white churches with steeples, etc., speak up and the locals will be happy to make suggestions. The rocky coast of Maine, however, is several hours away, and you can't take pictures of hillsides of flaming-leafed trees in the Spring. Sorry.

BTW, John, those "five mostly exclusive, left-leaning colleges".....does that include Williams College? ;-)

Charley

Charley, they are Smith, Mount Holyoke, University of Massachusetts, Hampshire and Amherst Colleges. All within about five miles of each other.

Protest everything, smoke some dope, grow a beard, wear Birkenstocks, drive a very old Volvo with McGovern and Dean stickers and blend right in. Polyester-wearers need not apply.

I went to Mass Art back in the early 1970's and Boston was very crowded then. I hate to think what it looks like now. If I thought my green truck would make it I would plan to drive up from Texas. But I will probably just go the other way and go back down to Mexico and photograph somemore.

leec

Are there any details about the schedule yet? If I were to fly in Friday morning, arriving in Springfield early afternoon, would I miss a whole lot? In terms of return trip planning, what's the Sunday schedule like?