Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do all the Graflex backs go?

Where do all the Graflex backs go?

Hey guys,
    This may be a dumb question, and everybody knows the answer but I'm curious--ebay is always full of Graflex Speed and Crown Graphics missing the backs (and often the lenses). It looks like people just buy the cameras to sell the back and lens at a profit, and then sell the rest... Price for the backs are really high (usually over a hundred bucks). What are people using them for? I'm just curious, because it seems like you see so many of them like that it couldn't just be for custom cameras built from scratch or something... I could see a few going to retrofit spring back cameras with a Graflok, but again...seems like an awful lot of them?
    Just curious...
    Scott

Re: Where do all the Graflex backs go?

When you say back, do you mean back or focusing panel? There's a difference.

The focusing panel has to be removed to attach a roll holder. Over time, especially with 2x3 Graphics to which roll holders have been attached, the focusing panel is mislaid. Hence all of those Century Graphics with roll holder and no focusing panel.

I'm going to guess a lot go into making step-down backs for larger cameras. I wonder how many end up on 4x5 Series D (not Super D) Graflexes, too--there seems to be a lively market in Series D cameras, but I just about never see any Graflex film holders for sale to feed all those Series D cameras. I have a real piece of junk Speed Graphic that I'm stealing bits from one at a time, and its Graflok back is going to be on my 5x7 sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    When you say back, do you mean back or focusing panel? There's a difference.

The focusing panel has to be removed to attach a roll holder. Over time, especially with 2x3 Graphics to which roll holders have been attached, the focusing panel is mislaid. Hence all of those Century Graphics with roll holder and no focusing panel.
    I'm thinking of the entire back, screws and all...although you do see quite a few missing the focusing panel. Seems like a lot are also missing the fresnel for some reason...I know some left the factory that way, but I suspect the majority should have had them. It would be impossible to focus without it, so I'm not sure why you would remove it...weird.

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    I'm going to guess a lot go into making step-down backs for larger cameras. I wonder how many end up on 4x5 Series D (not Super D) Graflexes, too--there seems to be a lively market in Series D cameras, but I just about never see any Graflex film holders for sale to feed all those Series D cameras. I have a real piece of junk Speed Graphic that I'm stealing bits from one at a time, and its Graflok back is going to be on my 5x7 sooner or later.
    Step down backs would make sense. I have a Graflex in 4x5 that apparently had a Graphic back installed many years ago...I always kind of wondered how big of a job that was. Slotted film holders are pretty hard to find, so the conversion definitely makes sense. Although you do see bag mags for them, which would be fun if they're in good condition.

I have a Sinar back made into a 4x5 reduction back for my Wehman 8x10. Like all ready mentioned, step down backs makes sense.

Besides reducing backs for larger format cameras they could also be used for photomicroscophy or to shoot 45 on other instrument like telescopes.

I took the back off one of my old Crowns to make a 4x5 back fro my big studio camera, so that is my guess as to where they go.

Now here's a twist, I've got a Graphic 45 that had its original spring back removed and replaced with a Graflok back. So that's -1 accounted for

Maybe so, but I did a quick search on eBay and there were some 100 complete Speed Graphics, so I don't know if it is all that prevalent with Back-less Speeds…

Seems you can get almost anything with regards to Graflex Speed Graphics parts, lenses, lens boards and bodies in various state.