Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving Down To Death Valley

Re: Driving Down To Death Valley

If your coming south through Nevada and enter the park over Daylight Pass out of Beatty be sure a make a stop at Rhyolite. An old mining ghost town. They have fenced a lot of it off recently but still worth a look. BTW the road through Panamint Vallley to Trona has been closed for months due to flood damage. Also, I live pretty close and it has been a hot (it was 74F today and I live at 3000 feet), dry winter so far. I would expect it to be pretty hot and dry for sure in March. Be sure to carry lots of water everywhere and be aware many of the roads are really rough washboards with sharp rocks. Truck tires are best as opposed to Passenger car tires. Tougher side walls. Have great trip and show us the results.

Thank you for that info!

I love Death valley and the surrounding area. Try to get away from the popular areas. Wander around--it shouldn't be killer hot that time of year but bring extra water and a good map + GPS anyway. If you don't have a high clearance vehicle they rent Jeeps there somewhere. The high clearance road heading to the Racetrack (I forget its actual name) is fun.

--Darin

I was going through there one time and, just like in the TV ads they were testing cars. They would blast around in the heat, pull over, erect a little tent to keep spies out and futz with the car, then off they would go like James Bond or MacGyver. It was hilarious, I just wanted to get up the hill and to the ocean.

lab black

While everyone has their different experiences, I would suggest exercising extreme caution at any time of the year if you are going out to the Race Track. I suggest two vehicles and to notify the ranger of any travel plans that are off the beaten track. I second the previous suggestions to carry extra water. I would also add extra food, tools and enough supplies to last you a few days. Typically, there is no cell phone service in Death Valley. Rather than me giving you stories, consider calling Jim at Miller's towing in Lone Pine for additional information. 760 876-4000
    As for unique places to see, I might suggest;
    Aguerberry Point at sunrise
    Ubehebe Crater
    Wildrose Charcoal Kilns (mid to late afternoon)
    Rhyolite ( sunrise or sunset)
    Titus Canyon (enter from Rhyolite)
    The last two miles of Titus Canyon are spectacular in the late afternoon and at dusk. To capture the last light, one would need to start their journey from Stovepipe at mid-morning to mid-day, depending on how many stops are made.
    Fall Canyon is also quite nice, although it involves some walking.
    Golden Canyon is also very much worth the trip.
    Keep your equipment with you at all times.
    Crime is an issue in the parking areas.
    The Visitor Center at Furnace Creek is a wealth of great information, books and maps.
    Army Surplus type stores in most cities sell large water containers 7-10 gallon. I recommend at least two.
    A lifetime is not enough to explore all of the beauty of Death Valley
    "We work in the dark, we do what we can, we give what we have."
    Henry James

Good resource http://www.nps.gov/deva/index.htm

Maps http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/maps.htm

Tough not to find interesting things there.

Zabriske point is great, and Golden Canyon http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisi...wer%20Loop.pdf

Devils golf course is really amazing, as you walk away from the parking area the ground gets rough quick, but the foot traffic has smoothed it a bit, by 25 meters out it is downright jagged and most pedestrians have given up. 50 meters out it is a darn near pristine crystalline world and everything looks sharp as knives.

Bad Water just down the road is by contrast smooth, it is amazing how different these neighboring plots are.

You don't need to travel far from camp either, the dunes outside Stovepipe are great. Last time I was there I went out before sunrise, just beautiful.

Scotty's Castle is interesting too. http://www.nps.gov/deva/historycultu...tys-castle.htm
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain

a tremendous place, literally

I've been a couple of times, never long enough

enjoy

andrew

Andrew Plume is right, never seems to be long enough.

Building on that thought I'd suggest not rushing around too much.

For example, I have been to Death Valley many times and someday I want to see Race Track Playa but getting there is a big commitment of time especially if I want to enjoy the experience and take a few evening and morning pictures. To do it right I would want to set aside at least 2 days just for that side trip alone.
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain

Use full information
    Zip code for DEATH VALLEY CA 92328
    http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/92328
    If you use film take all you need with you as it is a long drive (most place in CA have stop stocking film).

Dave

Since I will be going down with my family, we won't be doing anything risky. Mainly roadside and easy trails.