Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giottos MT-9180 versus Berlebach 8023?

Giottos MT-9180 versus Berlebach 8023?

I think I've narrowed it down to these two. Anybody use either? How tall is the Giottos without the centre column? The Berlebach sounds nice but folded it's almost 28"?

Thanks

I have only good words for the Berlebach. It's the Hell of a good tripod for little money. My field cameras are flimsy compared to it. I don't have a tape handy, but it seems to me that without the head, it's shorter than 28 inches. I don't know a single thing about the Giottos.

Berlbachs are nice and fabulous value for the money but, as you noted, they are not small. I believe that the folded length of their smallest offering is inthe 28-29" range. I had one of the two section Berlbach's and kept it for only a short while. It was sturdy enough for sure and was tall enough but it was just too ungainly in terms of its collapsed size. Per haps they have some three sectionunits that are better.

Giottos look intriguing and look like good value for money as well. They are not likely to be up to the fit and finish of a Gitzo or a Bogen but do you really care in a tripod? You may want to chat with Bob Salomon about bearing capacity before purchasing though.

I thought the Berlbach model was three sections-) Both are about the same price and both claim similar loads. The only real difference I can figure out are wood versus metal. Plus the difference in folded height.

The center columns on the Giotto's tripods add 17" to the height. These are large diameter columns and are very sturdy either extended or used cantilevered. When you do not use the center column the top plate is removed from the column and would then act as a 3-way pan head.

The B&H website claims 72" Max height. So does that mean 55" without the centre column?

Thanks

As mentioned in previous posts, the berlebachs are a lot of tripod for the money. I'm using an 8023 for my 4x5 and boy, is it stable! It is a 3 sections, well finished and as solid as it gets. I equipped it with a bogen pan-tilt head and, though not very compact, it does all that I need and is a pleasure to use. I don't have a tape handy to measure it's length but if you are interested contact me directly and I will forward you the numbers. Never used a Giotto.

72" less 17" is 55" + the height of whatever head you use. Actually we gave B&H a different maximum height. The X160 = 63", the X170 = 67" and the X180 = 71". We don't claim any of them are 72".

The X is 8 for carbon fiber or 9 for aluminum. So the MT 8180 would be carbon fiber and the MT 9160 would be aluminum.

I have the Berlebach 3032, which is 35" when collapsed, and just the right height when extended fully. Since the model I purchased has the integral half-ballhead, I find that I've don't really need an additional head on it, which cuts down on the amount of weight I carry, as well as its overall length.

At first, the length seemed a pretty major drawback, but I've since gotten used to it. I just put a strap on it, and sling it over my shoulder like a rifle, and off I go.

Nick

I own a Berlebach 8013, same as the 8023 but plain without centre post.

For stability you probably know that maximum extension of the centre post should be used as little as possible.

I got the 8013 second hand from a good friend so it was a damn good price, about 15 rolls of 120 slides process paid ;-). Hence I saved money for a good ballhead and I do not miss the centre post. I bought it in addition to a Gitzo classic series 3 to have something lighter for backpacking.

2.4 kg without head for the 8013, will hold 8 kg easily. You can't find a better ratio between price and load capacity.

You can check the stabiliy of any tripod by twisting the head with some force. You should feel no play. I had a cheaper alumin(i)um tripod from a respectable Japanese brand that does not pass the test and has become loose with age. The Berlebach stands rock-solid to this twisting test.

I can't speak for other excellent brands than Gitzo and Berlebach but the only weak point of the Berlebach series IMHO are the screws that tighten the legs, you can't compare with Gitzo threaded rings, but the Berlebach clamp & screw are probably cheap and easy to exchange by the owner at home.

The simple design of this wooden tripod makes the question of sand a non-issue. Simply loosen the legs, clean the wood from dust and sand and that's it. I would be reluctant to bring my classic gitzo on a beach but I'm probably wrong and conservative. So to me a good wooden tripod like the Berlebach is an ideal tripod for general use. Its moderate price will push you to carry it in your walking trips without fear.