Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brass lens manufacturer identification - KORN

Brass lens manufacturer identification - KORN

I recently purchased a large brass barrel lens with waterhouse stop slot and rack and pinion focusing possibly made around the 1870's - 1880's. The lens has no engraving on the exterior of the barrel identifying its manufacturer but has the letters KORN stamped on the waterhouse slot partition inside. I have tried to research the name KORN without any success, and wonder if anyone here in the forum has come across a brass lens manufacturer named KORN or can enlighten me as to its possible place of manufacture. Thank you in advance for any information you can provide!

Re: Brass lens manufacturer identification - KORN

I don't like giving this suggestion as it doesn't get you very far. A photo would be helpful.

My guess is that this is a construction allignment mark (inside/outside or up/down) for the internal waterhouse split ring.
    Korn (German) is the same as corn. In german, my dictionary tells me this also has the additional meaning (as in English) of a sighting line!

So this is perhaps in the same category as the French maker "FOYER" - meaning focal length - and numerous others!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    A photo would be helpful.
    Thank you for your suggestions Steven, much appreciated! I'll post a few photographs tomorrow... perhaps they'll help to shed more light on the matter!

Quote Originally Posted by dustspots View Post
    Thank you for your suggestions Steven, much appreciated! I'll post a few photographs tomorrow... perhaps they'll help to shed more light on the matter!
    Here are the photographs Steven... The lens barrel is approx 115mm high (without the hood) and the lens is approx 90mm in diameter. The glass is of petzval configuration. Estimated 12" f3.5. There is some very faint text written in pencil on the front element but sadly it is impossible to read. The flange is obviously not original.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1090948_1.jpg   P1090952.jpg   P1090953.jpg  

I don't think you'll ever know as there were so many made without markings for own branding. I have one very similar with not a mark on it. Maybe your only chance is if there is something legible written on the edges of one of the elements. Perhaps a photo of the faint text is possible?

It does look German or Austrian to me.

Someone could perhaps recognise the faint lens text?

Quote Originally Posted by Xpres View Post
    Perhaps a photo of the faint text is possible?
    Thank you for your input Xpres and Steven... much obliged! I suspected it might be a German lens... hopefully someone can confirm this by deciphering the text around the edge of the front element! Sorry the images aren't great!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3 .jpg  

What a lot of text and numbers!

When there is this much, I automatically think it might be artisan/quality control/repairer information, rather than the lens maker.
    The lens has been recemented long ago ( when this was done as soon as balsam age was evident - perhaps 50 years! ) as the pencil or ink marks are washed away to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    What a lot of text and numbers!
    Thank you for your reply Steven! Yes, there are a lot of numbers and letters! I agree there is a lot of text for it to be the makers mark alone! After staring at the text more intently for the past half hour... I believe the last four letters may actually be the word Korn - which obviously links the element to the brass barrel mark in some way!

I wish whoever had recemented the lens in the past had done a better job of it as its delaminating slightly now! I love this lens... it's fabulous for portraits... thankfully the delamination does not effect my images!

You sure this is not KOHN rather than KORN?