Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gear Stolen on Location - Need Insurance Coverage for Location/Travel Work

Gear Stolen on Location - Need Insurance Coverage for Location/Travel Work

This morning I had my view camera stolen from me while on location in downtown Milwaukee. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good insurance company to provide coverage against theft while on location or while traveling.

The stolen equipment includes an Ebony 23S view camera, Schneider 80 XL lens, Gitzo 1228 tripod, Linhof Profi II ballhead, Lee filter holder, and Horseman 6x9 film holder.

I was able to get two exposures off before three guys drove up in a slick, gray sportscar with dark tinted windows. I knew something was wrong when I noticed the trunk of the car was popped open. The driver got out, looked at my gear and said, "Nice camera, I think I'll take it." He grabbed the camera, I grabbed the tripod, we struggled briefly until he warned me I'd get hurt. As he threw the camera into his trunk, I ran to the front of his car to get his license plate number. He drove off and I called the police with the license plate number. The whole thing was captured on video, and the police are following up on it.

I'm sharing this so others can be aware of it, maybe take some precautions, though exactly what, I don't know. I don't believe that struggling over some camera gear is a good idea, no matter how expensive. Being a woman, I feel one's personal safety is far more important. At a minimum, people should have insurance coverage for things that just happen out of the blue.

For those who have insurance, can you share the name of the company who provides the coverage and any contact information? Thanks much.

Traditionally, camera insurance has always been prohibitively expensive. Last time I checked was about 5% per year. That’s a pile of money on a studio full of gear.

I have also heard many stories of insurance companies paying the first claim and then cancelling the policy.

Don’t think there is an easy answer to your problem, beyond hiring an assistant whose knuckles drag. There are places here in Massachusetts I refuse to work in...

Octogenarian

Hi Edie,

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I'm impressed that you had the presence of mind to get the license number and pleased that you were not injured. I have heard of many cases of "car jacking", but never heard of a case of "camera jacking" before.

If you have homeowner's or tenant's insurance, check with your agent. You may be covered for, at least, part of the loss. Camera insurance is expensive and requires that you furnish an up-to-date list of the description and serial number of each item covered in the policy. It seems to be in the same category as jewelry and fur insurance.

Hope that you are able to recover the camera equipment in one piece.

Sorry to hear of your loss. When I had some camera equipment stolen out of my car many years ago my home owners policy covered it.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Edie,

Glad you're O.K.

If you aren't a "pro", State Farm will cover it under a personal articles policy for about 1% of the insured value. I have my auto insurance with them.

Steve

Beverly Hills, California

This is a $625
    lifetime policy
    . Good thing is you can file your claim instantly and not have your policy canceled!

jadphoto

Edie,

Nanpa (North America Nature Photographer's Association) has a group insurance policy available for members.

Look at their web site.

Beverly Hills, California

Oops, my apologies, I re-read your post and see your are a woman. Perhaps by imagination, but likely less inclined to solution "A". Nevertheless, I hope you get to testify against the bastard one day. He'll have time in prison to remember what he did.

Sometimes professional insurance isn't worth it. If you calculate the premium (cities are very high) and deductible and it would take an large loss each year for it to even begin paying against the insured value.

multiplex

try utica national insurance group. you can get liability & a "floater" policy.

the "floater" covers you when you are away from your studio &C. i think mine costs 5-600$ / year

good luck!

-john

Sorry to hear of your situation, Edie. I hope the police find the camera-jacker and your gear.

Although I don't have any specific recommendations for you, I'd be cautious about relying on a homeowner's policy for camera coverage. I've heard of horror stories about the homeowner's policy being cancelled after the first camera claim. In areas where it is difficult to get a new homeowner's policy, this can be a disaster on its own. Although more expensive, a business liability policy with an equipment floater may be a better option.