Thread: Zone VIII density - the magic of 1.2

Zone VIII density - the magic of 1.2

I see many references to the proper Zone VIII density being 1.2. But as I'm taking my first critical look at negative densities this does not seem to be the proper number for my system. Perhaps somebody could "calibrate" my thinking if I'm wrong.

When I contact print my step wedge on the paper I'm using, without enlarger filtration, I get an exposure scale of 12 steps, or 4 stops (each step is 0.1 density). Of course I can expand or contract that range by adding filtration, but the assumed goal is negatives that print well without filtration.

So it seems to me that if I'm developing for a Zone VIII value of 1.2, then I'm putting Zone VIII at the limits of the paper. I'm reasoning that 1.2 should be the Zone X value, and Zone VIII should be something like 0.96. I think Ansel's paper must have had a longer exposure scale than mine.

Am I missing anything?

I believe you're right about the exposure scale of AA's papers being long - at least longer than most papers you find in common circulation today. I find the contrast of MGIV and Seagull VC papers without filtration is about the same as printing them with a #2.5 Ilford filter. I've found the appropriate density range, i.e., Zone I to Zone VIII range of the neg, for MGIV with a #2 filter is about 0.82. My Zone I densities are in the range of 0.06 to 0.10, so Zone VIII comes in around 0.9. For comparison, I find Seagull needs a negative density range of about 1.05 when I print with a #2.

Check out Phil Davis's "Beyond the Zone System." It's time well spent. He has some nice discussions of film and paper testing. You want to match the density range of your negative to the paper (plus filter if you use one) you're printing on. AA needed DR~1.1 to print on his papers. Your requirement may well be different.

Chris

I understand that 1.2 over base +fog is the proper density for your negitive. This is according to Gassons handbook of Photo and Whites book, Tytle excapes me. God drilled it into me years ago.

Also, If your system is not what everyone elses is, then go with it. Your's is what is important. If they print well then go for it. What good is technology if the subject stinks.

1.2 is a starting point, but you should calibrate it to your printing process. You might want a higher value if you are using a diffusion enlarger or longer scale process like Azo or pt/pd. You might want a lower value if you are using a condensor enlarger and a contrastier paper.

Now help me out, I always learned that zone 3 was 1.5 over base + fog and 1 and 2, 9 and 10 was not printable. Help my understanding. Prints were zone 3 to 8 Negitives and Transparency's were more under perfect situations.

In pt/pd printing contrast can be controlled by the amount of Pt added to the sensitizer, allowing for contrast control whether the neg has a D.R. of 1.3 or 1.8. So by taking your density reading with the densitometer and finding your D.R. you can mix your ferric oxalate, Pt/pd for the desired density range. This allows for a wider range of densities to be used and not limit your neg to a certain density range to meet a certain paper. But that is pt/pd process. I've never seen Azo or pt/pd used with an enlarging system. Only contact prints. So as far as enlarging goes on vc paper ....well I haven't used my enlarger in years so there are others who can better comment on that