Thread: Broken seal on a box of enlarging paper? Keep it or send it back?

Broken seal on a box of enlarging paper? Keep it or send it back?

I just received a large (250 sheet) box of privately branded enlarging paper---Ilford I suspect---and while the original seal was broken, the box was cellophane taped closed on three sides.

While I don't usually buy enlarging paper through the mail, I'll have to from here on in since both the local shops no longer stock graded fiber base. I'm wondering if this broken seal/taped box stuff is common practice in the mail order biz. I certainly wouldn't buy a box in that condition from my local merchants(if I had the opportunity, that is)

I expect the voice of reason would say to print a sheet before passing judgement, but this is a large box I had intended to stash away should the 'Fall of the House of Ilford' be something other than bad fiction.

Should I send it back or keep it and hope for the best?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Is this from a large reputable dealer (e.g. Badger, Midwest,etc.) if it is then call them and ask oor ask to exchange it. OTOH if it is from a private sale and/or our favorite auction site and you got a great deal ... try a sheet and go from there...or just return it if you bought it new/sealed.

Hi John, I would suggest sending it back. Who knows why the seal was broken but who knows if someone exposed a sheet or two, found it to be fogged or damaged in some way, or it was found in the back room and is oooooolllllddddd. Call first.

Ted and James,

Thanks! I'll contact them first thing tomorrow.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

john.. this is a loong shot but i'l lask anyways. did you get it from freestyle photographic? Last time i got 8x10 film from them i thought the seal was broken. upon very close inspection i realized it actually is not broken but it looked like one..

maybe you should inspect it in the darkroom.. if really broken.. send it back first thing tomorrow..

deniz,

Nope, the paper seal is broken. The only thing holding the lid on is a strip of tape on each of the other three sides of the lid. The part of the seal that has the batch no. (which is where the gap is where the lid and the bottom of the box meet) is unreadable because of the tear in the paper, which completely runs the width of the seal.

I experienced moreless the same in a 8x10 sheet film box from Badger Graphics... I asked Jeff and the answer was:

"... Customs must have opened the box. The film is still sealed inside the box so I really don’t think you should worry... "

I checked the film, and it was OK. I wish you the same.

Most manufacturers use tape to seal three sides of the box, and a label on the fourth. I can imagine how a nervous clerk could rip the label while fidgeting with the box. To me, a more telling indication would be the condition of the tape - does it look like the original? Are all three tapings the same (same type of tape)? Is there any indication that tape may have been cut or removed, and then replaced?

A few years ago I picked up a 100 sheet ox of Agfa Brovira at a flea market. It had been opened and the seller volunteered that she had used a few sheets. But it was Agfa Brovira - they don't make it anymore. I would gladly accept a partial box!

Octogenarian

Hi John,

Was the original label torn and mutilated in order to remove the expiration date and name of the original manufacturer? Perhaps it was re-boxed? Since graded fiber based paper is almost impossible to find locally. The logical thing to do is test a sheet of paper from the top, middle, and bottom of the box. If it's not defective, use it. If it's fogged, return it.

I have been purchasing paper and film through mail order for many years (B&H, in NYC). Since mail order dealers sell large quantities of supplies, their film, paper, and chemicals are usually fresher than the stuff on the shelves in the local camera shops.