Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Ebony camera to buy?

Which Ebony camera to buy?

Well, I know this is probably a pointless question. I've seen a lot of these threads, and know how they typically go, but I must say I now understand why there are so many of them.

I have been saving for a while and now have the money to buy a (used) Ebony camera. I know that X (insert your favourite here) is a much better camera, and that a camera is only a box. But I hear they work good, and I think they look beautiful.

Anyway, what I can buy is dependent on what is available, and right now that seems to be a choice between a 45s and an SV45Ti. I have been going back and forth this morning; one hour i'm certain the 45s, and the next I'm certain the SV45Ti. This is my thinking:

I want a general purpose field camera. This rules out (in my mind) the very short versions (RSW, SW), and the RW, which seem best suited to landscape.

45s
    Pros - Simple, elegant, light, made of ebony, non-folding
    Cons - 270mm bellows extension, non-folding

SV45Ti
    Pros - Folding, light, made of mahogany (which makes it light), 500mm bellows extension
    Cons - Folding (takes longer to set up), made of mahogany (its not ebony)

Thinking
    I used to use an Ikeda Anba that had slightly less that 300mm bellows extension, I messed about this morning with my Tachi seeing what I could mount and use at 270mm, and it seems fine for my normal work set (90, 135, 210). I also mounted a 250mm, which worked okay. So what would I use 500mm of bellows for? Also, I have a B&J 5x7 and a studio camera at home that have pretty long bellows, if I needed them.

I have a family, and when I'm with them its difficult to spend a long time setting up for one photo, so rapid set-up would be a real bonus.

The 45s is ebony, and really beautiful.

On the other hand, the SV is the original Ebony design, the camera that made the company's name. It will never run out of bellows. This camera can do anything, and because it is mahogany rather than ebony, it weighs the same (more or less) as the 45s. Its also a very beautiful camera.

So, what to do? I think I'm leaning towards the 45s, but who knows how I'll feel in an hour....

Re: Which Ebony camera to buy?

Simple..
    Buy the SV AND a Nikkor 450M. Problem solved.

George Sheils

Hi Tim,

It's a nice dilemma to have(which Ebony should I buy) !
    If it were me I'd have no hesitation to go with the 45s.

Now, I don't own an Ebony but I would see the non-folding as a pro - not a con.
    There is nothing as irritating as having to set up a folding camera IMHO.
    Slip the camera onto the quick release and then it's all twiddle-twiddle for the next 5 minutes? - no thanks.

If the 270mm bellows handles everything you are likely to need then the faster set-up of the 45s is a no brainer.

Just my 2c.
    Last edited by George E. Sheils; 20-Mar-2018 at 14:47.

Tim,

As you know, I am biased in this matter as I have the Ebony SV45Ti for sale in the FS section. First of all, I am not sure why someone would pay extra for the ebony wood version. It is simply heavier and I don't see any advantage to that. As to the question of setting up, I can have my ebony (4x5, 5x7, or 8x10) set up in about 25 -30 seconds. It is really so simple. As to the extra bellows, (again, my opinion) this opens up other lens possibilities and also the ability to rack your bellows out for close focus. I used a 300 with the SV45Ti on a regular basis and found the extra bellows to be an advantage. I eventually bought a 450 and loved the lens. You could not do that with most other cameras. You can take what I say as biased (I am) on this, but I see more possibilities with the SV45Ti than I do with the 45s. The SV45Ti does everything the 45s does and more. Jim

I have the 45SU and would suggest that you look at that camera instead of the 45S, if you're also considering the SV45Ti, even if it is quite a bit more expensive (I just looked at the prices at Badger, wow, it's gone up a lot since I bought mine in 2008). The 45SU is available in mahogany as well for a .3Kg savings in weight. If you order a new one, Badger Graphics says the wait is 8 weeks, which might make you lean towards Jim's SV45Ti, but it also means that you could get mahogany or ebony as you desired for likely about the same wait.

The SU gives you 95mm more extension than the S and Asymmetric rear swing and tilt (which I've found a lot more useful than I expected) and a bit more movements. I have a Fuji 300/8.5 and can focus as close as I need to. Of course if you expect to regularly use a 350mm or longer lens, just get the SV. I moved from a Tachihara to the 45SU and I really like how quickly the non-folding camera sets up. I can also "flatten" it with my 200 M-Nikkor attached for an even faster setup if I expect to use that lens.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

Quote Originally Posted by George E. Sheils View Post
    ...Slip the camera onto the quick release and then it's all twiddle-twiddle for the next 5 minutes? - no thanks...
    Tim asked about a folding Ebony, not a Canham. My SV57 and SV Wholeplate are ready to go in 20 seconds after the quick release clamp is closed.

I reckon buy the SV45Ti and don't fold it during the daily shoot. That way you get the quick set-up of a non folder with the added compactness of a folder when you do eventually pack it away. I don't have an Ebony but that's the way I use my Tachi in the field. The key item is a camera bag configured to contain and protect an unfolded camera.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

It would be a 45S for me. But since I don't have one, this...

Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post
    ...don't fold it during the daily shoot. That way you get the quick set-up of a non folder with the added compactness of a folder when you do eventually pack it away. I don't have an Ebony but that's the way I use my Tachi in the field. The key item is a camera bag configured to contain and protect an unfolded camera.
    ...is how I sometimes work in the field with smaller cameras like my 4x5 and 5x7 Nagaokas.

I have a 45S which I carry with me all the time. The best thing is that it's compact and you don't have to unfold it. Take it out of the bag and drop it on the tripod, ready to go.

Saratoga, CA

I have a SV45U which will handle just about any lens, my widest is a 58mm on a flat board and my longest is a 720mm. But if I was looking for one, I would go for Jim's camera which he is offering at a very attractive price.

Mr.Gale