Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nom & Jelly's 8x10 View Camera Project

Re: Nom & Jelly's 8x10 View Camera Project

Questions and comments are always welcome

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    I find the reactions here offensive as well as uninformed. What specific patents still stand that you guys don't want infringed? I really doubt that there are any. The purpose of patents has TWO sides: first to protect the inventor for a LIMITED time, and second, to eventually turn innovative ideas out for public use. In the US patents are valid for 20 years. Are there any particular less-than-twenty year old innovations at all in wooden view cameras?

I agree. The OP is a guy who simply wants to make some money to support his family doing honest work. I applaud his industriousness. Far better than someone on welfare sitting around asking, "Doodah check come?" Once something is off patent, it's fair game. Finally, I'm all for more choices in cameras.

It's a great idea. Maybe it's a bit crazy, but whatever. The Bender 8x10 is a good suggestion. One of my friends used to do some really amazing work with hers when she could afford a fancier 8x10. Alternatively, you might consider a very basic and durable field camera design like the Burke & James 8x10 View. If local woodworkers and metalworkers are good enough, then something like a an Ansco Universal would be nice.

Please note that my website is moving. New URL: jongrepstad.com

Links to camera builders will be available by the end of October.

Jon Grepstad

I know I am coming into this conversation months later, but here is my two cents... I posted on the DIY thread a month or so ago that I wanted to build an 8X10, and was having problems with plans. I have since downloaded photos of a lot of different cameras, showing different views of them to try to form a plan. I have gone to several sites that show a some ideas and plans for building a camera. Even ordered a book that I think was a waste of money...

Now I am not building for sale! This is for me, and I want the satisfaction of doing it. I began my process several weeks ago, by drawing up tentative plans that I thought would work. I am retired, but I have a full woodworking shop and am fairly talented in that field, and I also have a full machine shop that even though old is capable of producing the metal parts I need. I have had to build some special tools to facilitate cutting the racks and I had to order an expensive milling cutter to cut my gears. But the project is underway, and I plan to post photos and details at a later date. The main camera that I am drawing inspiration from is the Deardorff. I know I am not going to build a replica but I am going to use a lot of ideas from it.

So anyone trying to make a view camera to sell, in my opinion has a long road to hoe. Even if you took a camera and disassembled it and duplicated the parts, I still can't imagine it being feasible. But I wish anyone luck.
    Just Saying...
    Jim

Very interesting and thank you for posting. My project never took off and I am still on the lookout for an 8x10. Currently there a few options a wista with some issues for under 1500 with a lens and a Burke and James for 700 euros but I am also considering a she hao.

Quote Originally Posted by jongrep View Post
    Please note that my website is moving. New URL: jongrepstad.com

Links to camera builders will be available by the end of October.

Jon Grepstad
    Thank you for your updated link
    Questions and comments are always welcome