Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: bogen 3047 vs. tiltall

Re: bogen 3047 vs. tiltall

I have an old Star-D Tiltall that I bought over 40 years ago and have a newer Tiltall. (The older one had NO plastic pieces.) I use them both regularly. For years I used the Star-D with a light (first a Calumet, then a Arca Swiss) 4x5 in the studio but now use both for assignments of all kinds. Mostly I mount an iPad on one and a DSLR on the other. I have not found any difference in quality between my old and new Tiltalls.

not a big Bogen fan (although I own two) and I hate, hate, hate tiltalls

but - between the two, I'd pick a bigger Bogen (but keep my eyes open for a Gitzo or Linhof)

hacker extraordinaire

Well I bought a 3021 used. It seems fine so far but I'm slightly bummed it doesn't have any low-angle features. I'm probably going to need the small sections extended out halfway. All the way in is too short and all the way out starts to get flexy.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

hacker extraordinaire

What is this clip and this threaded hole?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-01-30 20.11.07.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	109549

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-01-30 20.11.33.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	109550
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

SF Bay Area 94303

Either one will work fine. I have both, it is a toss. I have the used the Leitz tiltall on a CC401, ARCA, and crown, speed, and super graphics for 45 years. Neither works for 8X10, here one moves on to a Majestic head and legs and a mule.

If you expect to use your tripod in water, I would definitely avoid the Tiltall. It will corrode eventually. I use Gitzo and have to clean it regularly and add some grease to the bushings to keep it functioning smoothly. It does not corrode. I have no experience with the Bogen however.

PDM

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    What is this clip and this threaded hole?
    There's supposed to be a clip, but as far as I know, that's the wrong one. MY 3021 clip is black and has a little cast-in socket wrench for tightening the leg locks. The clip you have is exactly the same clip as on my Calumet light boom. The large round hole is for the light cord, and the smaller hole on the other side is for the hex wrench that tightens the sections together. Three came with the boom, to hold the cord up along the length of it.

Neither of mine--my 3021 or my 055, has the hole, but my 3046 tripod and my 3047 head both do, and someone a few weeks ago told me that it's for holding an alternate QR screw, so you can have both 3/8" and 1/4" handy (both have a 3/8" base on them, just under the head, to fit the hole). The 3057 head has the same hole.

Octogenarian

The threaded hole in the tripod shoulder is for attaching a Bogen shoulder strap.

At least that is what it is used for on my older 3021. I purchased the 3021 tripod with the strap already attached.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    What is this clip
    It is there to hold an allen wrench which is obviously missing.

Octogenarian

The Allen wrench is on the lever that tightens the center column. Push in the spring, give the lever a half turn.

The handle comes off, making the Allen wrench useable if you need to adjust the leg tightening levers.

The white plastic clip holds a mini socket wrench that can be used for tightening the hex bolts on the leg tightening levers. Yours is missing.

Never needed to use it in twenty years. Remove the clip, and forget about it.