Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mod 54

Re: Mod 54

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cienfuegos View Post
    It would be so much easier for all of us if we went over to the metric system,
    I totally agree we should all just move to the metric system, the US is just stupid, I think part of it is about money, by manufactures having two different measurements for things, they're able to sell two different sets of tools to anyone who wants to make any adjustments to anything. And also because the mass production of goods now would mean retooling all of the machines that make everything and that's just too costly in this day and age, if they had done it sooner it wouldn't be so bad.

The US is stagnating and I don't understand why they can't just figure it out...

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    This is only true in the US. In the UK all those numbers mean something else - but a Meter and a Liter are always the same, no matter where on earth you are.
    A meter is not the same as a metre in the UK, nor the rest of the world. It is either a measuring device or a reference to music/poetry. It is not a distance/length.

And a liter does not exist outside the US. It is a litre.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    A meter is not the same as a metre in the UK, nor the rest of the world. It is either a measuring device or a reference to music/poetry. It is not a distance/length.

Hah! We can't even spell...

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Hah! We can't even spell...
    Yes we can, all those extra vowels and trailing "e"s were dropped after the Revolution. I have enough Canadian friends to remind me that there are different ways to spell things. When communicating with them I just add the proper letters to keep everyone happy (other than my spell checker).

btw, I would weigh even more than I do if I had to put up with imperial weights. It's bad enough I'm at 240# av. still over a hundred kg. only 5'6 tall . I suffer from a severely overactive fork.
    Michael Cienfuegos

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cienfuegos View Post
    Yes we can, all those extra vowels and trailing "e"s were dropped after the Revolution. I have enough Canadian friends to remind me that there are different ways to spell things. When communicating with them I just add the proper letters to keep everyone happy (other than my spell checker).

btw, I would weigh even more than I do if I had to put up with imperial weights. It's bad enough I'm at 240# av. still over a hundred kg. only 5'6 tall . I suffer from a severely overactive fork.
    If you're saying litre and other words lost their ending vowels, then you can't spell either...

Cause then it would be litr....

Winston Churchill (who all babies resemble, somewhat ) described the US and Britain as "two countries divided by a common language".
    I expect Mr Denny (I didn't get where I am today by...) will shove this sideways into some Lounge type oblivion, but, we Colonials derive endless amusement from the worlds most powerful democracy tied up in niceties like 1/16 of an inch.
    P'shaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    It certainly exists in my country. Germans say liter too (Liter, actually), so do Slovaks, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mihag View Post
    It certainly exists in my country. Germans say liter too (Liter, actually), so do Slovaks, etc.
    I can confirm that (Liter).

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    They both work for me
    1 qt is just over 1 lt
    1 gal is just over 4 lt or 3.784 lt
    For what it is worth, in UK 1 qt is 1.14 l, and 1 gal is 4.55 l. Have you ever wondered why British cars have higher mpg than US ones?
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Quote Originally Posted by Rollinhofuji View Post
    I can confirm that (Liter).
    Pronounced Litter?
    Søren Nielsen

Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting