Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A better than average sheet film holder transport solution

Re: A better than average sheet film holder transport solution

Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    I've bought three of these now. They are superbly made. It is so good to be organised in the field. I used to work in semi-chaos. Not anymore, these cascade holders are so easy to use and being well organised becomes easy too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEuBK..._order&list=UL

RR
    I like that design, but wish it folded in the middle, I often shoot much lower and the bottom two holders would be on the ground in this scenario. But I like the design.

Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    I'll second the F.64 cases for 4x5 holders, they're perfect. I'm currently using the Photobackpacker/RPT Cascades for 8x10, as I've found nothing better for 8x10 as yet. (Still looking though, maybe someday someone will best the Cascades, but haven't seen it yet.)
    Yeah, I like those cascading holders if I were driving somewhere and then simply setting up my tripod, but for anybody who is actually really backpacking, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense weight wise to be carrying around such a heavy item, the f.64 cases seem way more practical.

I use 3M anti static ziploc bags, I bought a case of 2000 for around $40 on eBay. it's going to be a lofetime supply.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I like that design, but wish it folded in the middle, I often shoot much lower and the bottom two holders would be on the ground in this scenario. But I like the design.
    +1 for shooting lower. I either hang the cascade on a tree or fence post etc. or else just lay it on my rucksack to access the film holders and then fold it back up out of the way. I like the ability to identify the pouches with exposed sheets in. In fact I don't make two exposures like in the video so I put the black Velcro marker half over the white disc to show me which pouches have just one sheet already exposed. This saves me from having to look through the pouches to see which holders have one dark slide with the black side out...

RR

Yeah, I like those cascading holders if I were driving somewhere and then simply setting up my tripod, but for anybody who is actually really backpacking, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense weight wise to be carrying around such a heavy item, the f.64 cases seem way more practical.
    11.4 ounces for the 8x10. Is that too much?

RR

Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    11.4 ounces for the 8x10. Is that too much?

RR
    Yup! That's almost a pound! When you're hiking for 8-10 days, every ounce counts. I've solved this issue by using grafmatics instead of holders (saves me 3 oz per 6 sheets) and that seems to work well and can just throw them in the pack folded between clothes (saves apparently 8ish oz per 6 sheets) now I have a lot of holders I don't know what to do with, they aren't particularly valuable, but I can't decide if sometime I would need them in the future. Also one or two may have a leak but I can't remember which and I don't want to sell them and have someone else get their film ruined

For 4x5

Low-Tech/Cheap: I use plastic sandwich bags inside Crown royal bags.

High-End/ Top-Drawer: PhotoBackpacker has a great set of film ohlder protectors too.

For 8x10

I do not walk aound much with 8x10. My camera and tripod move about in a roll-around Pelican bag.Film holders go in plastic freezer bags and are carried in a separate shoulder bag that sits on top of the roll-around.

"Anything more than 100 yards away from the car just ism't that interesting"
    Edward Weston
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I've solved this issue by using grafmatics instead of holders (saves me 3 oz per 6 sheets) and that seems to work well and can just throw them in the pack folded between clothes (saves apparently 8ish oz per 6 sheets)
    Ever since the MIDO system evaporated I have looked for someone to make a high tech high quality Grafmatic from polycarbonate (3-d printing?).
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Ever since the MIDO system evaporated I have looked for someone to make a high tech high quality Grafmatic from polycarbonate (3-d printing?).
    Would be nice to have an even lighter grafmatic. And brand new without light leak. But I don't need that many so I'm happy with mine for now, would be nice if one didn't have bent septums... And another hadn't had light leak issues, sadly I bought all 4 at the same time and can't figure out who sent me the bent one... And who sent the light leak one (which I was able to fix with gaffers tape but now is difficult to slide into the back easily).

Anyway I love that crown royal bag idea