Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Polaroid 110 Conversion or FOTOMAN 45PS

Polaroid 110 Conversion or FOTOMAN 45PS

I'm thinking of picking up either a Polaroid 110B 4x5 Conversion or a Fotoman 45PS. The polaroid conversion is about 400 bucks cheaper at just about 800. Fotoman is about 1200 but brand spanking new body with a used Nikon 135mm lens. The 4x5 conversion comes with a 127mm Enna Munchen Ennit.

Can anyone sway me towards one direction or another?? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Polaroid 110 Conversion or FOTOMAN 45PS

IMO the key functional difference is the coupled rangefinder. Assuming the Polaroid conversion is done well so that the RF remains accurate - not to be taken for granted - the question becomes whether your intended use needs the kind of accurate focusing-on-the-fly that a rangefinder can give you but scale focusing can't. If the answer is no, the Fotoman is likely to be a more versatile and robust tool.

I'd also add that you really can't compare the two lenses. They are diferent generations. The lens on the Fotoman is a modern multicoated lens I presume?

Depends how much one cares about lenses, but Ted's point is well taken. For me the ability to put whatever lens you want on the Fotoman would be a huge advantage. If the intended use doesn't require the coupled rangefinder, that alone would be enough to sway it for me.

I should add, I owned a 110 conversion for a while - one of Dean Jones'. The conversion was very nicely done, but in the end I couldn't tolerate the 127 Ysarex on it.

If your goal is a handheld 4x5, why not also consider a press camera? Much cheaper, and swappable lenses (need to find cams to match - doable)

I own a 110B conversion and considered the Fotoman. The rangefinder made the difference. The Fotoman does use modern lenses in comparison to the Ysarex but the Ysarex really isn't all that bad. There's no reason why a skillful conversion job can't also include a change of lenses and readjustment of the rangefinder, but the camera may not close up.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    I should add, I owned a 110 conversion for a while - one of Dean Jones'. The conversion was very nicely done, but in the end I couldn't tolerate the 127 Ysarex on it.

No problem Oren....I seldom use the Ysarex nowadays, opting for later model Fujinon 135mm and 150mm lenses. I also favour the 150mm Nikkors and Caltars.
    Modification to the cam is required to suit the later lenses so swapping is not possible.

Where the crunch comes is when you're trying to focus a camera not equipped with a range finder with parallax compensation.
    This is of the utmost importance when shooting portraits with the longer focal length lenses. I cannot see how one can achieve accurate focus by guesstimate, especially at wide apertures in low light.

I still feel the 127mm f4.7 Ysarex is a nice lens considering its age.

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~razzle/

mamiya 7II

Depends on what work you are doing.

For me - Polaroid. The coupled rangefinder is the selling point for me. And Parralax correction. iI'm guessing it's a lot quicker to work with and you use less film through accurate focus.

You can get a rangefinder for the fotoman, but it's one of the older type designs based on distance scales. Which i'm of the understanding that you use the range finder, find the distance, make the adjustment on the lens. hope it's right.

And please correct if wrong - but i don't think it's as simple as just putting any lens you like on the camera. You need different adapters for different lenses. I think there are still compatability issues there as well...

For what I do (people) it's a no brainer - polaroid conversion. Oh yeah, and I prefer the look of the older lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by J Peterson View Post
    You can get a rangefinder for the fotoman, but it's one of the older type designs based on distance scales. Which i'm of the understanding that you use the range finder, find the distance, make the adjustment on the lens. hope it's right.
    This is correct. The RF is a separate gadget - you find the distance with it, then set it manually on the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by J Peterson View Post
    And please correct if wrong - but i don't think it's as simple as just putting any lens you like on the camera. You need different adapters for different lenses. I think there are still compatability issues there as well...
    Each focal length needs its own cone size; minor variations in focal length and back-focus are accommodated with shims. You need to do a careful initial setup of each lens on its cone, but after that swapping cones is easy. There are some limitations in what lenses can be accommodated, but these generally have to do with long lenses or lenses in Copal 3. The camera should be able to accommodate any modern 135.

Well as an owner of all three cameras ( Littman, razzledog, fotoman and also a hobo) at one time or another I would say go with the fotoman. I have had the same lens on all three. The Fotoman is solid reliable, and the company is wonderful to work with customer service wise. Sure you have to do distance calculation, or use their little distance finder gizmo, but once you have that calculation it is fast, and accurate. The fotoman is so easy to use that I have taught a local blind girl how to use LF with it. It also has the advantage that with different cones, you can change lenses.