Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: HELP + REFERENCE – Using soft focus lenses – and the world of "...ism"s.

Re: HELP + REFERENCE – Using soft focus lenses – and the world of "...ism"s.

I found this an interesting comparison so I thought you all might as well.

Here is the same shot using a 12" Goerz Dagor at f6.8:

12Dagor_HDPP_Flower_f6.8_012014_WM by ScottPhoto.co, on Flickr

Same Dagor at f11:

12Dagor_HDPP_Flower_f11_012014_WM by ScottPhoto.co, on Flickr

Hmmmmmmmm...

Ok, I have just acquired a Dagor that is away being cleaned and lubed and would like to do something in similar style to these two Scott. Approximately what distance is the lens from the subject if you don't mind me asking.

This was a 12" Dagor and I believe I was about 3 feet away if I remember correctly.

Hi Tim,

Here's another concept you might want to consider regarding different soft focus looks and techniquest. Don't assume that the look you get from your lenses on your cameras/negs have to be the final soft focus look of your prints. I have a couple of old petzval projection lenses that I use only one of the glass elements on and get very different/desireable results. With the attached images, they were both shot with a normal lens, but there were a couple of focal plane problems with each. I used one of these projection petzval lenses on the enlarger to produce a similar, but a little different look to the final print.

Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1 liths.jpg   Dozer_Dan_Kratos, God of Strength.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dozer View Post
    Hi Tim,

Here's another concept you might want to consider regarding different soft focus looks and techniquest. Don't assume that the look you get from your lenses on your cameras/negs have to be the final soft focus look of your prints. I have a couple of old petzval projection lenses that I use only one of the glass elements on and get very different/desireable results. With the attached images, they were both shot with a normal lens, but there were a couple of focal plane problems with each. I used one of these projection petzval lenses on the enlarger to produce a similar, but a little different look to the final print.

Dan
    Great ideas Dan! I love this stuff.

Well, it is time for me to revive this thread as I am beginning a long-term project that will be based in pictorialism. I am at the very beginning phase starting with determining what film and lens to capture the original negative with and then I need to determine what printing process to use to bring my vision to life. Actually, I'll need to determine what printing process will work best before I can determine how to create the base negative to work from. So here are my beginning thoughts:

1. I want to create as a finished body of work a series of images based around a subject (that I can't discuss yet) that are pictorial in nature. I am looking for the emotion of the subject(s) and not necessarily a direct representation.
    2. If possible, I would like to produce finished prints at least 16" on the short side. Depending on the printing process this may require doing digital negatives from which to print from as I am planning to shoot either 4x5, 5x7, 8x10 or a combination of all them. This would be dependent on subject and finished size of print I hope to create from it.
    3. I am not constrained by 100% "traditional" or "historical" processes although I want the final products to be created using a traditional printing method. Digital output doesn't interest me at this point.

The processes I'm researching at this point are Bromoil, Lith, Platinum, Carbon, Platinum and VanDyke. I am researching historical pictorialists like Struss, White, Coburn, Cameron and others to build ideas about visualization, process and the technicality of achieving the work I hope to.

As I am researching print processes I also have begun testing a few lenses with the film I'm considering using (Kodak Ektascan X-ray Film). I chose the film as it is orthochromatic, inexpensive and easy to work with as I experiment.

The lenses I've begun testing are:
    1. 1920's 12" Goerz Dagor
    2. 16" Kodak Portrait Lens
    3. Wollensak 8x10 Portrait Lens (Petzval design)
    4. Some form of Heliar (still looking for this one)

To this end I have begun a few tests. I will share them here as I move forward.

Test 1: 12" Dagor + Kodak Ektascan. Details follow each image.

Test1-1 by ScottPhoto.co, on Flickr
    Image made using Dagor. Direct sunlight.

Test1-2 by ScottPhoto.co, on Flickr
    Image made using Dagor. Direct sunlight. Harrison D2 diffusion filter.

Test1-4 by ScottPhoto.co, on Flickr
    Image made using Dagor. Direct sunlight. Harrison D4 diffusion filter.

Test1-3 by ScottPhoto.co, on Flickr
    Image made using Dagor. Direct sunlight. No filter. Front tilt.

So, this is where I am at the moment. Much to do. Much to learn...

Here are a couple more tests using the Dagor and Ilford HP4+.

Flower_test-2_WM by ScottPhoto.co, on Flickr

Flower_test-1_WM by ScottPhoto.co, on Flickr

I think these could be quite beautiful using the right print process. But, not sure yet...