Thread: Technika III hinged focusing hood hard to release

Technika III hinged focusing hood hard to release

I recently pulled out my old Linhof Technika III v.5 to play with a bit and the hinged focusing hood is fantastically hard to separate (open) from the ground glass spring back. Everything looks clean, undamaged and in seemingly original condition.

I think it's becoming more difficult to open the more I use it.

A butter knife pops it open pretty easily and although having a butter knife hanging from the camera would be pretty cool… I wouldn't mind being able to open this by hand.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dennis

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Re: Technika III hinged focusing hood hard to release

Mine does the exact same thing (also a v.5).

No solutions...just commiserating.

Does the unlock button work?

Hi Bob, I was probably unclear on what is sticking.

It's not the soft focusing hood that I'm having trouble opening, it's the door that the focusing hood is mounted on. This door seats in the ground glass frame and can be opened (or removed) to fully uncover the ground glass. It's number 3 in this illustration with the unlocking tab just to the right of the red dot:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...h-manual3.html

While I have you here Bob, is replacing the ground glass something I can do? or is it a shop mod? My glass is not only dim, but is stained with what looks like years of old tape residue…

Michael, if I come up with a good tool for this I'll let you know. My wrist was actually sore from prying this open a couple days ago. I have also gotten to the point of closing the camera bed before wrenching on this thing for fear I may damage something up front… so far the butter knife rules. Ha.

Thanks,

d

Quote Originally Posted by DLee View Post
    Hi Bob, I was probably unclear on what is sticking.

It's not the soft focusing hood that I'm having trouble opening, it's the door that the focusing hood is mounted on. This door seats in the ground glass frame and can be opened (or removed) to fully uncover the ground glass. It's number 3 in this illustration with the unlocking tab just to the right of the red dot:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...h-manual3.html

While I have you here Bob, is replacing the ground glass something I can do? or is it a shop mod? My glass is not only dim, but is stained with what looks like years of old tape residue…

Michael, if I come up with a good tool for this I'll let you know. My wrist was actually sore from prying this open a couple days ago. I have also gotten to the point of closing the camera bed before wrenching on this thing for fear I may damage something up front… so far the butter knife rules. Ha.

Thanks,

d
    When one buys one of the Folding Focusing Hoods, the Focus/Metering Bellows or the Right Angle Finder they are supplied with a plastic bag of very small shim washers to use under the pointed post on the GG frame that the above accessories lock to. If you have too few or too many the accessory does not lock properly. It is probably the same with the III. So that is where you should look. Under that locking post.

Ground glass and Fresnels for the III have not been made or been available from Linhof for decades, same with lens boards. I don't know where you would find one.

My glass is not only dim, but is stained with what looks like years of old tape residue…
    Goo Gone, detergent and water might do the trick.

Thanks Jac, I'll give the Goo Gone or similar a try.

Bob, thank you. That makes perfect sense. There does not appear to be any shim on the connecting post and I'm guessing that might be the problem. Now that I have an idea what might be missing… maybe I can solve it.

Thanks again,

Dennis

FIXED!

Found a little vinyl ribbon in the basement. Cut it into small squares with a hole in the middle to fit over the post. Two pieces did the trick. Opens pretty easily now and seems to stay shut as well. Temporary for sure, but now I know how to fix it and will keep an eye out for the proper shim.

Thanks again Bob.

d