Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 81 to 88 of 88

Thread: Finally done with PMK. What next?

  1. #81
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    6,337

    Re: Finally done with PMK. What next?

    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    You can't print carbon without using a staining developer?
    That's not what he said.

    Normally silver and alt processes do best with negatives developed to different maximum densities. A negative optimized for silver or for alt processes will typically be difficult or impossible to print the other way. The advantage of a pyro developer is that it produces a negative that appears to have a higher density to UV than it does to visible light. The consequence is that when you get your process dialed in you can make negatives that print well both in silver and in alt processes that rely on UV exposure.

    Much more detail here:

    http://home.roadrunner.com/~bobherbs...m_printing.pdf

  2. #82
    I live in Connecticut now.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    5,316

    Re: Finally done with PMK. What next?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    That's not what he said.

    Normally silver and alt processes do best with negatives developed to different maximum densities. A negative optimized for silver or for alt processes will typically be difficult or impossible to print the other way. The advantage of a pyro developer is that it produces a negative that appears to have a higher density to UV than it does to visible light. The consequence is that when you get your process dialed in you can make negatives that print well both in silver and in alt processes that rely on UV exposure.

    Much more detail here:

    http://home.roadrunner.com/~bobherbs...m_printing.pdf
    Thanks

  3. #83
    おせわに なります! Andrew O'Neill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Coquitlam, BC, Canada, eh!
    Posts
    4,349

    Re: Finally done with PMK. What next?

    You can't print carbon without using a staining developer?
    Not what I said. Of course you can. What I said was, you can print the same stained negative on gelatin silver papers and alt processes, such as carbon. I mentioned carbon transfer, because that is what I have the most experience in. I also print kallitypes with the same stained negative. I use pyrocat-hd and obsidian aqua (I prefer pyrocat-hd). Very economical developers and last quite long in their separate stock solutions. You mix them up from stock to make a working solution. Both developers are great for rotary or tray work.

  4. #84

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    540

    Re: Finally done with PMK. What next?

    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Oh no! Please, NOT THAT! Oh Lord, you're frightening me… gooood help us all.

    Sorry, I missed the post as I was otherwise engaged. Still teetering on the edge of that building? All seriousness aside, if you can't achieve decent negatives with any of the developers mentioned, the problem lies elsewhere. I fear you'll be wasting a lot of time searching for that magic bullet.
    Actually, I mentioned those other developers because I've had good results with them. I had very good results this morning with Ilfotec-HC. What I'm asking for is not accusations of bad practices in the darkroom (I've had a number of them in this thread). I've only had trouble with PMK pyro, but not always. I really just wanted to know which developer, in other photographers' experience, was the best and most versatile. I got some good info so far, and figured out why my densitometer wasn't working properly, but I didn't want to go through film testing with 6 or 7 developers. I was hoping that photographers on this site could help me narrow down the list.

    --Gary

  5. #85

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Derbyshire, England
    Posts
    493

    Re: Finally done with PMK. What next?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary L. Quay View Post
    Actually, I mentioned those other developers because I've had good results with them. I had very good results this morning with Ilfotec-HC. What I'm asking for is not accusations of bad practices in the darkroom (I've had a number of them in this thread). I've only had trouble with PMK pyro, but not always. I really just wanted to know which developer, in other photographers' experience, was the best and most versatile. I got some good info so far, and figured out why my densitometer wasn't working properly, but I didn't want to go through film testing with 6 or 7 developers. I was hoping that photographers on this site could help me narrow down the list.

    --Gary
    Have you managed to do that?

    RR

  6. #86

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    540

    Re: Finally done with PMK. What next?

    Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    Have you managed to do that?

    RR
    No. Not really. Oh, well. I'll take the fixed densitometer and call it a success, though.

    --Gary

  7. #87

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Derbyshire, England
    Posts
    493

    Thumbs up Re: Finally done with PMK. What next?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary L. Quay View Post
    No. Not really. Oh, well. I'll take the fixed densitometer and call it a success, though.

    --Gary
    To be of any real help folks can only recommend what they actually know. I have only used two PYRO type developers so can only say what I know about them. 510-PYRO is simple to use but needs heat to make up the stock solution. The results are great if you want a nice long range of tones with readily controlled highlights. OBSIDIAN AQUA is easier to make up and uses less expensive materials, BUT has two stock solutions, A and B, so there are two lots of measuring out to do but that is really no hardship. The sharpness it delivers is remarkable. It has become my go to developer.

    So there's my attempt at helping you narrow it down. Either developer is great and they both last indefinitely as stock solutions. You won't regret using either of them.

    RR

  8. #88

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    540

    Re: Finally done with PMK. What next?

    Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    To be of any real help folks can only recommend what they actually know. I have only used two PYRO type developers so can only say what I know about them. 510-PYRO is simple to use but needs heat to make up the stock solution. The results are great if you want a nice long range of tones with readily controlled highlights. OBSIDIAN AQUA is easier to make up and uses less expensive materials, BUT has two stock solutions, A and B, so there are two lots of measuring out to do but that is really no hardship. The sharpness it delivers is remarkable. It has become my go to developer.

    So there's my attempt at helping you narrow it down. Either developer is great and they both last indefinitely as stock solutions. You won't regret using either of them.

    RR
    Thanks! I've been thinking seriously about trying Obsidian Aqua. What I like about 510-pyro and Obsidian Aqua is that they eliminate the rapid oxidization that plagues PMK. You can actually tray process in a normal manner.

    --Gary

Similar Threads

  1. Finally... a 90f/8 SA
    By John Conway in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 6-Feb-2012, 15:08
  2. I did it (finally)
    By ignatiusjk in forum Digital Hardware
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 4-Jun-2008, 12:02
  3. Finally I have got it right!
    By Hugo Zhang in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 1-Oct-2006, 00:37
  4. Finally going LF
    By Phil M in forum Style & Technique
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 13-Sep-2006, 03:30
  5. Finally did it.....
    By Ed Candland in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 28-Apr-2002, 17:05

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •