Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Ilford FP4 and Photowarehouse Ultrafine ISO 125 Film Same Thing?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Beverly Hills, California

Is Ilford FP4 and Photowarehouse Ultrafine ISO 125 Film Same Thing?

In a previous post, someone suggested that Photowarehouse ISO 125 film really the same as "Ilford FP4"?

Anyone have further insights on this?

Also a clarifcation has to be made between Ilford FP4 as opposed to FP4+.

The reason I ask is that I am looking to stock up economically on FP4+ sheetfilm. I compared the Photowarehouse development times for their "125 ISO Ultrafine" with those they list for Ilford FP4+ on the same chart. The recommended times look different, with development times for "125 ISO Ultrafine" actually look closer to the recommended times for Kodak Plus-X film on the same chart.

Furthermore, Photowarehouse lists their repackaged Ilford printing paper as being "Made in England", but no similar mention is made of their Ultrafine films. ????

andrenoble,

I'm interested in hearing others experience regarding Ultrafine 125. The only two films I'm experimenting with in 12x20 are Ultrafine and Efke 25(which are also, incidentally the most affordable ULF panchro film I've found) I'm convinced Ultrafine is an Ilford product. FWIW Freetstlye also markets Arista Pro in 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10 which is also reported to be an Ilford product.

The difference between FP-4 and FP-4+ isn't something I can comment on, as FP-4 was long gone before I became a consumer of sheet film, so I have nothing to compare the current FP-4+ Ilford/ Arista Pro/ Ultrafine products with. Perhaps someone with more miles can shed some light on this issue.

BTW, my favorite Ilfor-oid enlarging paper comes from Freestyle. Their Classis Graded Fiber is, I think repackeged Galerie. If you want to stock pile a graded fiberbase enlarging paper, its the only "economy model" game in town that I'm aware of besides being an excellent paper. Photo Warehouse Ultrafine paper is, according to my catalog, an RC paper. Take your pick.

Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

The representative at Freestyle photo told me that Arista Professional 100 film is FP4+, and Professional 400 is HP5+. Both are cheaper than the Ilford-labeled products.

It is my understanding that both PhotoWarehouse Ultrafine and Freestyle Arista are Ilford FP4+, although Ilford remains "mum" on the issue. Many people simply refer to FP4+ as "FP4" for simplicity's sake. It would not be feasible for Ilford to mix a separate (outdated) emulsion batch for re-branded products.

I've used both PW125 and FP4+. They 'look' and 'print' virtually identical. FWIW both PW 125 and PW 400 (as well as Freestyle's Arista Pro) are all 'made in England'. I guess you have to ask yourself is there any film manufacturer other than Ilford in the U.K.? ;-)

THe PW film was the only thing I used for my 12x20, now with Ilford in hard times I am worried the Ultrafine film will also be gone. Any suggestions for an alternative. I am thinking J&C is going to be the one to go with.

Good point Jorge - all of us LF/ULF users are looking for 'alternatives' if the Ilford 'rumours' hold true. I know many have had good success with the 'hungarian sourced' films (ie. Forte, Bergger, Arista, J&C, etc) but for the few times I've tried them I had problems with quality control.

but for the few times I've tried them I had problems with quality control.

What kind of problems did you see? My last batch was cut about 3 mm longer than normal from PW. Funnily enough at the same time J&C had the same problem. The thing was, that J&C offered to replace the film as soon as they found out, not a peep from pw. So, while there might be some quality controls issues with the films J&C markets, they seem to stand behind their product more proactively than PW.

I also had a batch of PW where 2 sheets out of the 25sht box were cut unevenly - still 'loosely' fit the holder though. The specific problems I had with the hungarian films were fogging and scratches on the base side of the film. To put things in perspective this was 3-4 years ago and I'm sure (hope?) things have changed.

The Photowarehouse Ultrafine 125 film is great stuff, but I don't think it's FP4+. The Photowarehouse rep told me it is not, and that it is made in EU, not England. Seems to be a discrepency in information from PW. I don't really care where it's made, but I can see how the information could be useful.