Thread: An interesting collection of really cool photographs.....

An interesting collection of really cool photographs.....

Next time you visit a tourist spot, consider who might have been there, or what happened there before you...
    http://distractify.com/people/same-p...ifferent-time/
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: An interesting collection of really cool photographs.....

I live in Vienna, Austria. Everywhere I go, I feel the ghosts of those that came before and occupied that same space. Some are positive; Freud, Mozart, Beethoven, Strauss, Brahms, Mahler, Bolzman, Schroedinger, etc., etc.

Some are less so. Every day I ride my bicycle to the conservatory where I teach. On the way I pass through the Heldenplatz, the inner court of the Hapsburg city palace and the seat of much of the Austrian government to this day, but also where Hilter announced the Anschluss in 1938.

One of the advantages of living in Europe is that one is confronted regularly with history. In the west of the United States (my other residence) it is all too easy to ignore much of it.

I can't resist an anecdote. One day some years ago I was shopping for ski equipment in a Vienna department store. There, half-hidden behind the rack of skis was a small plaque that stated, "Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart died on this spot in 1791."

Best,

Doremus

Re: An interesting collection of really cool photographs.....

Are the pioneers of photography equally remembered by the Vienna authorities?

I was thinking of Petzval, Voigtlander, Dietzel, Waibel etc.?