Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best 210mm Lense for Artwork Reproduction

Best 210mm Lense for Artwork Reproduction

As stated in an earlier post, I am rather new to LF, moving up from 35mm digital. I would like to have some opinions as to which 210mm lense is the "best" lense for flat artwork reproduction. When I say "best," I mean sharpest, most color accurate, etc. I am overwhelmed with all of the choices ranging from Macro and APO to S-Type and N-Tpe. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

My 210 G-Claron works fine in close up flat applications and works well as a landscape lens also. It only lacks a large aperature for viewing, then then again it is small and light weight

I'd suggest the Eskofot-ultragon 210 to be had on ebay for $50.00 or less. Sharp as a tack and I even use it to shoot at infinity, though I think it's optimized for closer work. Don't spend more than you need to, the Ultragon was designed for reproduction work and should do everything you need.

AJB,

While "best" is frequently in the eyes of the beholder in this case my recommendation would be to go with a G-Claron from Schneider, one of the Fuji 'A' series (eiether 180 or 24o in this case), Doctar Apo Germinar or similar offerings from Rodenstock. These are all process lenses which are maximally corrected for the distances at which you are most likely to be photographing flat art and anf are corrected for for fla subjects. they all work excellently as general purpose lenses as well.

In addition to the lens think about film type and lighting as well. The extent to which you are able to control the lightling will make a great difference in your ability to accurately match the colors of the original without a lot of additional work in the darkroom or in Photoshop. I used to do a lot of this work when I had a studio in an Artists Coop (The Torpedo Factory in Alexandria, VA) and generally found that doing the work in my studio using daylight balanced color negative film with high levels of properly balanced strobe light was the best way to fly.

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

All above are good suggestions -- and don't forget the Goerz APO Artar.

Any of the modern 210mm f/5.6 lens will be absolutely fine for this: Schneider Symmar S, Rodenstock Sironar N, Nikon, or Caltar II-N (actually this is the Rodenstock Sironar N). .

Hi

My 300mm APO Ronar would be my favorit in thad case. It is a lens wich was build like all APO Ronars for thad job. And with the 300mm I would only use the sharpest part of the lens in the middle of the coverage!

any 210mm f6.3 lens will do fine too.. I have a commercial Komura in copal 1 and it is sharp as tack and colors are great. it is multi coated.

I also bought an 210mm Eskefot-ultragon 210mm f8 and i can't comment on the color reproduction but it is gorgeous with 8x10 B&W work..

I would have to recommend the 210 Kowa Graphic. Coverage to spare (easily cover 8x10) and sharp as a tack. I put one in a Copal #1 and it will be with me for as long as I am shooting LF.I had an expansion adapter put on it to accept 52mm screw in filters. Covers 8x10, light as a feather and takes 52mm filters. Wow!

As already stated the G-Claron's were originally designed for exactly what you're asking about. Here's a 240mm that is in a shutter and could double as one of the finest general photo lenses you'll ever own.