Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Air Travel Conundrum

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Air Travel Conundrum

I've read a lot of threads about planning and packing for air travel, but I still am faced with this basic conundrum: using a rigid or semi-rigid rolling case for carrying the LF gear on the plane, but wanting to use a soft backpack case to tote the gear around once I am on-site. I feel like I should have the heavy protection for the camera and glass when it gets smashed around in the overhead bin, but that kind of case just won't do when I'm walking around extensively for shooting.

So, how do I solve this conundrum? Do I take both, and switch from the travel case to the backpack once I land? Or are any of the backpacks robust enough (and sized appropriately) for stuffing in the overhead bin and also for walking around with the gear on the ground?

Thanks in advance!
    Dan

Re: Air Travel Conundrum

Seems you'd be more likely to end up having to gate-check your bag because the flight is over-booked and all the overhead space is taken. Ship it ahead and save the stress.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    Seems you'd be more likely to end up having to gate-check your bag because the flight is over-booked and all the overhead space is taken. Ship it ahead and save the stress.
    I forgot to mention that the destination is overseas (Scotland), so shipping the gear is really out of the question. So for my upcoming trip as well as cross-country flights, I'm looking for the most practical solution that involves bringing one carry on bag and checking the rest.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    I forgot to mention that the destination is overseas (Scotland), so shipping the gear is really out of the question. So for my upcoming trip as well as cross-country flights, I'm looking for the most practical solution that involves bringing one carry on bag and checking the rest.

Thanks!
    If you pack your gear in a good camera type backpack with dividers chances that any of it would be damaged in the overhead compartment are quite slim. I have traveled this way with my equipment for more than three decades and have never had any damage.

One problem you may have for connecting flights in the US is the small overhead compartments on jets like the Embraers 145 that are used by many airlines. If your bag won't fit you will have to gate check it, which increases risk of damage. But on international flights you should not have any problem finding room for your camera backpack.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    If you pack your gear in a good camera type backpack with dividers chances that any of it would be damaged in the overhead compartment are quite slim. I have traveled this way with my equipment for more than three decades and have never had any damage.

One problem you may have for connecting flights in the US is the small overhead compartments on jets like the Embraers 145 that are used by many airlines. If your bag won't fit you will have to gate check it, which increases risk of damage. But on international flights you should not have any problem finding room for your camera backpack.

Sandy
    Thanks for relating your experience, Sandy. I realize the additional problem with the commuter planes and will try to avoid them for my "shooting" trips. Luckily I have three departure airports to choose from in order to get on the bigger planes (BWI, DCA and IAD).

Thanks!
    Dan, Hi

presumably you've booked somewhere to stay in Scotland? - why as Will says, can't you ship it ahead with, say, FedEx to that address

I'm not advertising for the UK per se but we have a very decent Courier set up here and I see no reason why it shouldn't work

good luck

andrew

Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd Home-Rustbelt is Home Base

Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    This has hap to me numerous times of late. It is getting harder to travel with gear all the time. I didn't even have LF gear either, Just a big dslr kit.

If your going first class you can get away with a lot more luggage. I just need the lotto to cooperate.

What size? Dealing with a 4x5 is considerably different from an 8x10. (There's probably no easy answer, anyhow.)
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    What size? Dealing with a 4x5 is considerably different from an 8x10. (There's probably no easy answer, anyhow.)
    Oh, good question. I have two LF cameras - a Horseman 45FA and a KB Canham 5x7 traditional (wood) camera. The Horseman is much better protected because of how it folds up, while the Canham is a bit more fragile. Because of that difference, I will probably take the Horseman on the overseas trip.

Or are any of the backpacks robust enough (and sized appropriately) for stuffing in the overhead bin and also for walking around with the gear on the ground?
    I'm not sure what kind of backpack you have, but I've never had one for which I worried about protection in an overhead bin. That's a pretty protected environment, and you are the one placing and removing it from there, so you can take as much care as you like. I worry more about having to gate check it. So make sure your pack is tolerably close to the regulation size (and maybe weight for an international flight) and try to board as early as possible.

Bob