Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your eyesight goes bad. Your doctor says time for a choice.

Do or do not. There is no try.

Re: Your eyesight goes bad. Your doctor says time for a choice.

I gave up on transitions* after two weeks of headache-filled effort and went to bifocals, and later to trifocals, with which I've been very happy for several years now. The middle is set for computer work, but I also keep a dedicated set of bifocals configured for computer and reading (no distance) at work since I drive a computer all day. I'm sufficiently nearsighted that I just slide the glasses down on my nose for composing, then back up again for using the loupe. It's quick, painless, and became second nature very quickly.

Oh, and I have a set of bifocal sunglasses - distance and reading, no middle.

*I got those glasses at the evil empire (Lenscrafters), who guarantee happiness, so I didn't have to pay for the bifocals I got after my two weeks of hell (note they also wouldn't refund the price difference). I've since discovered that Lenscrafters is more expensive than some other places even after the 30% Eye-Med discount available through my employer, so I now take my business elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    He can fix your near vision, or your distant vision – not both – and prescribe spectacles for the other.
    By "fix" do you mean eye surgery? I know a lot of people who have had it done, but the thought of someone cutting on my eyes creeps me out. I have graduated trifocals which I can change as frequently as a I want as my eyes change. You can't do that with surgery.

Another option is contacts that correct each eye, one for distance and one for close work. Your brain figures out how to ignore the wrong eye. I have often wondered if I did that would I no longer have to shut one eye to render a scene flat?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sims View Post
    By "fix" do you mean eye surgery?
    Yes, but more broadly – simply a choice between Near or Far for unaided vision, at the mandatory cost of using spectacles for the other.

In light of my personal LF habits (principally a landscaper in the mountains), it would be an agonizing choice, at least upon initial consideration.

But the posts so far have added illuminating insights either way, plus additional options.

By "fix" do you mean eye surgery? I know a lot of people who have had it done, but the thought of someone cutting on my eyes creeps me out. I have graduated trifocals which I can change as frequently as a I want as my eyes change. You can't do that with surgery.

Another option is contacts that correct each eye, one for distance and one for close work. Your brain figures out how to ignore the wrong eye. I have often wondered if I did that would I no longer have to shut one eye to render a scene flat?
    I had PRK (different than LASIK) MUCH longer recovery time, but much better results in the end, I have to say it was one of the best things I ever did, and the best $6,500 I ever spent... It's been 6 years and every day is a blessing...

. . . Another option is contacts that correct each eye, one for distance and one for close work. Your brain figures out how to ignore the wrong eye. I have often wondered if I did that would I no longer have to shut one eye to render a scene flat?
    A few days after the first cataract surgery, which left me with that eye corrected for distant vision and the other eye very nearsighted, there was no problem in near or far vision with both eyes open.

After examining your stricken eyes, your doctor, much to your relief, says don't worry, you're only aging, it's all quite natural, and he can help. He can fix your near vision, or your distant vision – not both – and prescribe spectacles for the other. He adds that you'd always need the spectacles for the type of vision you choose them for.
    count your blessings...your Dr didn't tell you you have Gloucoma.

I had LASIK done about 8 years ago. My distance vision was corrected to 20/20. Now that I'm in my early 40s my distance vision is still good, but my close focus distance is receding. So I now need to keep my head fairly far back from the ground glass to compose. Soon I'll need reading glasses to fit under my darkcloth, or to see the details in the composition. I've always used a loupe to focus, so no change there. I've been using the reading glasses for closeup work for the last couple

If I had to choose again between closeup or distance being perfect I'd still keep my choice. It's not much of a burden to put on reading glasses, and I really like not needing contacts or glasses to go through most of my day.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

That's one of the reasons why I didn't have LASIK done years back when I was eligible to have it done. Your eyes change as you age and there was a risk, albeit small, that something could go wrong and your vision would be adversely affected. With glasses there is zero risk. Back then I was doing astronomy which meant that I had to put the glasses on to see the sky and take them off to look through the eyepiece - the same scenario as with the subject and the ground glass. Alter all these years of clenching my eyeglasses in my mouth when switching, my New Years resolution is to (finally) break down and buy neck strap for eyeglasses.

Thomas

About the only positive part about my eyesight (I have 2 different vari focus glasses (transitions): one for normal wear one for computer work) is if I take of my glasses can focus on the ground glass quite well, no need for a loupe..I still am a bit concerned if I am not fooling myself, but if I put on my glasses and use a loupe it's still spot on.

Also the occasional repair of a compur shutter works quite well with my glasses off..

best,

Cor

I have worn glasses since I was nine (forty years ago) until now as I have changed to contact lenses.

Being short sighted with glasses is great for LF as if you take the glasses off, you have instant good close up vision - and the worse the short sightedness, the better the close up vision.

However, with contact lenses, I now need reading glasses for close up. I can still read books and computer screens without them but for close up, extra positive Dioptres are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    if I take of my glasses can focus on the ground glass quite well, no need for a loupe..I still am a bit concerned if I am not fooling myself, but if I put on my glasses and use a loupe it's still spot on.
    I'm sure you're not fooling yourself as removing negative Dioptres is the same as adding positive Dioptres. It's probably better to do it with fewer lenses than extra lenses so the non-glasses method will probably be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gebhardt View Post
    If I had to choose again between closeup or distance being perfect I'd still keep my choice. It's not much of a burden to put on reading glasses, and I really like not needing contacts or glasses to go through most of my day.
    If you started with 20/20 vision rather than had it corrected by laser, you would probably still be in the same situation now. Reduction in close up focusing is due to the eye's lens becoming less flexible.

Steve.