Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rodney Lough Jr.. Anyone familiar with this photographer?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rodney Lough Jr.. Anyone familiar with this photographer?

I've meant to bring this up several times here on LFF, but it always seems to slip my mind.

I first became aware of Rodney Lough Jr. by way of his very large gallery near Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco. He does some very nice color landscape type work, mostly 4x5 and 8x10 according to his image info and printed on Fuji Crystal Archive in gigantic sizes.

My first impression, on wandering into this gallery, was this guy must have some multi-millionaire patron backing him on this. His work looks pretty nice to me, but not necessarily so ground breaking original that it would warrant this "world's largest" gallery, which must run into five or six figure monthly rent, considering the location. Even with some of the bigger prints selling as much as $10k at the high end, I still can't figure it.

Anyone know anything about Rodney Lough Jr.? Being a large format photographer of some notoriety, I'd be surprised if was never discussed here.

Re: Rodney Lough Jr.. Anyone familiar with this photographer?

Is this the guy that when you walk in the door the gallery assistant keeps telling you that Lough is "America's Favorite Landscape Photographer"--she must have said it five or six times. I must have dressed that day better than I normally do. Never heard of the guy.

--Darin

Well known by many here. I remember a few threads discussing his work. He is very successful financially as he wisely placed his Las Vegas gallery in a conspicuous and upscale location. Possibly the highest sales income ,of any gallery anywhere.

Some of his images I admire - others seem rather over the top for me. I'd consider his work to be near the apogee of decorative art and wouldn't mind owning a piece or two. But on thinking about it I'd rather get a bottle of Romanee Conti for the $10 K.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    I've meant to bring this up several times here on LFF, but it always seems to slip my mind.

I first became aware of Rodney Lough Jr. by way of his very large gallery near Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco. He does some very nice color landscape type work, mostly 4x5 and 8x10 according to his image info and printed on Fuji Crystal Archive in gigantic sizes.

My first impression, on wandering into this gallery, was this guy must have some multi-millionaire patron backing him on this. His work looks pretty nice to me, but not necessarily so ground breaking original that it would warrant this "world's largest" gallery, which must run into five or six figure monthly rent, considering the location. Even with some of the bigger prints selling as much as $10k at the high end, I still can't figure it.

Anyone know anything about Rodney Lough Jr.? Being a large format photographer of some notoriety, I'd be surprised if was never discussed here.
    I have somewhat followed him for a little while. I believe there is something to be learned from people who become successful while doing the type of work they truly enjoy. Most of his work is from LF film, but recently he has added a MF digital back I believe with a tech cam. He does his own scanning & printing in house.
    It looks like he received some funding from an investment firm for the SF gallery. He is at a level were he probably didn't have to give up a ton of the business for the funds. That's just an assumption & I don't know the actual terms of the deal.
    The people I personally know who have started & grown large businesses usually do not play with their own or only a portion of their own money to grow the business.
    There are some YouTube videos with him discussing his business.

____

I heard that his San Francisco Gallery... Is now perhaps CLOSED ???
    --

-Tim.

________

Yes. He is/was a member here too. A search would have shown you this:http://www.largeformatphotography.in...archid=2400846

Vinny - I didn't see anything at the link you posted. But then, I didn't really search this topic first either (shame on me).

Taija71A - I did see one little blurb about the SF gallery being closed too. It was, if I recall, just a single remark somewhere in Google and I didn't think much of it. It wouldn't surprise me, for what that place must cost, $10K inkjet prints notwithstanding. Seems like he'd have to sell ten of those a day to keep the rent paid for that location.

Drew Wiley

I've never seen the SF Gallery, and wondered how on earth anyone would be able to afford a photo gallery lease at that location, given the fact that some very very
    rich people are coveting the same real estate. He's had a gallery across the bridge in Sausalito for a long time, which I've driven past but never actually entered.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    He's had a gallery across the bridge in Sausalito for a long time
    Bingo. This *is* the guy I was talking about. America's favorite landscape photographer.

--Darin

Drew Wiley

Just contact him thru the forum. He seems to be a friendly enough guy. I'm over in Marin quite a bit, but always out shooting myself, and never window shopping
    in the tourist areas.