Thread: Antarctic images conserved from Captain Scott's hut 1895 – 1917

Antarctic images conserved from Captain Scott's hut 1895 – 1917

This is a pretty amazing find and work done to save these historic negatives..

http://www.nzaht.org/

Bernice

Re: Antarctic images conserved from Captain Scott's hut 1895 – 1917

Cool find,,So these are glass plates ? What is the cellulose nitrate emulsion? I haven't heard of this process. I wonder what size these are.

Michael Alpert

Bernice, Thank you for the link. The photographs are wonderful but seeing them seems a little strange. It is somewhat like hearing the recorded voice of a deceased friend.

Shannon, Cellulose-nitrate refers to the film-base, which was highly flammable and unstable. This material is the reason that many early motion pictures have not survived. It was, of course, much lighter in weight than glass-plates, which I guess was why it was used instead of glass plates during this early exploration. It is a minor miracle that these photographs have survived.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Alpert View Post
    Bernice, Thank you for the link. The photographs are wonderful but seeing them seems a little strange. It is somewhat like hearing the recorded voice of a deceased friend.

Shannon, Cellulose-nitrate refers to the film-base, which was highly flammable and unstable. This material is the reason that many early motion pictures have not survived. It was, of course, much lighter in weight than glass-plates, which I guess was why it was used instead of glass plates during this early exploration. It is a minor miracle that these photographs have survived.
    Thanks for the info,yup sure does make sense why they used these instead of plates. Here is a link to the rest of the images,its amazing how they got them pulled apart from each otherhttp://www.nzaht.org/