Thread: Epson Stylus 4880 Pro: Thoughts on Inks used?

Epson Stylus 4880 Pro: Thoughts on Inks used?

Hi All,

I've won an ex-demo warrantied Epson Stylus 4880 Pro printer on ebay, for the princely sum of £335 ($480), it comes with inks included but the cartridges are not full although they all have some ink in them and the printer produces full nozzle checks with no spaces.

No my questions:

Firstly, I understand that the Genuine Epson ink cartridges for the 4880 have a use by date (unlike my previous consumer type Epson printers), do owners only use long dated inks in their printers or do they use the often cheaper 'out of date' examples found on ebay. If the OOD types are used, how far back would you be prepared to go? 2008 through 2013.

Secondly there are a number of refillable cartridges available with various makes of pigment ink being available to fill them. The better versions of these (Cone, Lyson and AIS) quote 'full inter-changeability' with the Epson OEM cartridges being able to switch from one to another without flushing the lines and using the Epson ICC profiles. Do any owners have any experience of this?

Hoping you can offer your experiences to enable me to make an informed decision of how to proceed. I will then decide whether to use my 2880 or the 4880 with a set of Jon Cone's Piezography inks.

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Re: Epson Stylus 4880 Pro: Thoughts on Inks used?

Are you planning to use it only for BW?
    If not, I would stay with Epson inks even if the expiration date has past. Just add around 1ml / 100ml ink of PhotoFlo and make sure there is not air inside.

mitch

I use Jon Cone's ink with my 4880 with no problems for the last year. call them and ask for Well's tell him mitch sent you. great product also check on the the flushing carts and fluids if you plan on not using it for a period as they will clog .
    mitch

And clog badly.

Sometimes I can go a week without printing and all is well and other times after 48 hours of inactivity I have to run the auto check 5 to 10 times to get everything flowing OK. I know it's dry here in Tucson but at times this gets ridiculous. I clearly spend more on ink for head cleaning than for printing

I love the results I get with my 4880 but it can take forever to get 17 x 22 to feed straight enough and ink clogging can add an hour to the time it takes to run a single print. I think if it weren't so heavy I would have tossed it out the window in frustration a dozen times by now.

But did I say that I love the results???

Never thought that getting a printer would resemble getting married!

Ed I have a 2880 which I use for Piezo inks, and I also have recently bought a 4800 which I may also set up with Piezo inks. I curerntly use the Carbon ink set in the 2880 and I am considering also getting the Selenium and warmtone/Neutal inks and several sets of cartridges, because with the 2880 there is very little ink loss when you switch inks. If I convert my 4800 I will first need to flush out the ink and I will go with the WT/NE glossy ink set because the glossy black in this set also works very well with matt papers.

If you are looking at keeping your 4880 for colour then have a look at the Fotospeed website as they have Epson compatable inks.

Andy