Thread: When's the best time of year to visit Waheap?

When's the best time of year to visit Waheap?

I've got a hankering to go on a road trip!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: When's the best time of year to visit Waheap?

John,

Are you referring to the Wahweap Wash in southern Utah? I can't say what the "best" time is, but I was there at the very end of October last year. Not too hot that time of year, so hiking is pleasant. The photo below was taken in mid-afternoon. I was in the area again this year at the same time, and wanted to go back, but I simply ran out of time. It's an awesome location, and there is a lot to photograph in the vicinity (Pariah Canyon, North and South Coyote Buttes, Rimrock Toadstools, to name just a few)

Bob

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Silent_Sentinal_Wahweap_Wash_2012_Oct.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	106797
    Velvia 50 4x5, Arca Swiss F

Quote Originally Posted by biedron View Post
    John,

Are you referring to the Wahweap Wash in southern Utah? I can't say what the "best" time is, but I was there at the very end of October last year. Not too hot that time of year, so hiking is pleasant. The photo below was taken in mid-afternoon. I was in the area again this year at the same time, and wanted to go back, but I simply ran out of time. It's an awesome location, and there is a lot to photograph in the vicinity (Pariah Canyon, North and South Coyote Buttes, Rimrock Toadstools, to name just a few)

Bob

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Silent_Sentinal_Wahweap_Wash_2012_Oct.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	106797
    Velvia 50 4x5, Arca Swiss F
    Ah, yes, that's the place I meant, in Utah, with the white hoodoos! Thanks!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

I'd vote for early Nov.

John,

If you are looking for the best time in terms of temperatures (mild), November is tough to beat. However, from a photographic point of view , it might not be depending on the type of light you would prefer. The hoodoo shown by Bob will take nice early morning light but only when the sun's track moves farther to the north. I am guessing from the two times I have been there (October and November) that sometime between April and September would be better for early morning light. I tried it get an idea of sunrise direction and when the formation would be in light at sunrise using "photo sundial" but I just could not pinpoint the exact area. If morning light doesn't make any difference, anytime from late October through March should be nice for cool temperatures.