Thread: Spots on front surface of lenses---fungus?

Spots on front surface of lenses---fungus?

I have searched through the postings and cannot figure out what has happened to two of my lenses. I had them in my turck for a week in this hot humid weather, capped and wrapped in a Calumet lens wrap. I used them yesterday and while looking at one I blew some "breath" on the surface to see some fog and there were several small circles on the coating. When the fog disappated in a few seconds I could see nothing on inspection under a strong light, no evidence of marks or fungus inside the lens.

I tried cleaning these things but no apparent change to them. They are definitely on the outside, almost like some incosistentency in the coating but I am certain I would have seen it before.

Any ideas on what this might be or what effect it will have?

thanks,

steve
    Steve Williams
    Scooter in the Sticks

If you have to breathe on it to see it, none. There are several good reasons not to keep lenses in a hot humid vehicle.

Steve

If it takes condensation to show it up, I would suggest the most likely cause is oil. I know you cleaned them, but depending on how you did it, it may not be enough. Try using the Opti-clean polymer which will remove just about anything from the surface of a lens. If the marks remain, then your guess is as good as mine....

The fact they were in the truck for a time just before you noticed the problem may be a red herring. The other thing I was thinking of is pressure marks from the lens cap being pressed down on to the lens surface and leaving a faint mark that way - depends where the marks are.

Other possibility: faint salt marks from water drops evaporating from the surface: even rain water is not as pure as some would have us believe - that may not be removed by normal cleaning as the crystals would need to dissolve first.

That's all I can think of...

Good luck... Cheers,