Thread: New tripod question

New tripod question

I just picked up a Gitzo 0541 with a 1780QR head to use excursively with my Rolleiflex, but I was wondering how it would work with my Speed and 127mm lens. The capacity is 11 pounds, lets say 10 with the head, and my Speed is around 5-6 pounds.

Do you think I'll have any issues? I had a Bogen 3001 with a 4047 previously but I donated it to a nice girl who is a photography student at Rutgers who needed a tripod but was low on cash. She was in a camera store and I overheard her try and talk the shop owner down on a used tripod, but he wouldn't budge. I went to my car and gave it to her. So that was my excuse to upgrade

Re: New tripod question

Why notjust go ahead and screw the S-G onto the tripod and see how it feels?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

If you were happy with the SG on a 3001 then you should be happy with it on your new tripod. They are approx. equivelent in terms of capacity spec. I, personally, don't use my SG on that light of a tripod but if it works for you then it's a good thing.

Shooter401: Up-date?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

It seems to work very well with the Speed with the stock 127mm. Going with a Aero-Ektar or 15" Tele-Optar (or another piece of big glass) seems to be iffy, but it supports it either way with very little movement. It looks a little odd being on a pair of skinny sticks, but I bought it for use with my Rolleiflex, but it's nice to know I can use it with my speed.

My Pacemaker Speed weighs in at about 11 lbs with the Aero-Ektar on board. I have been using a Manfrotto 055XPROB with a 410 head, but it really isn't sturdy enough for me. I also have a Majestic tripod for use at home, but there is no way I can lug that behemoth in the field.

m
    Michael Cienfuegos

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Dang, Michael... that's heavy. My Anniversary with "normal" lens is only 6 lb, 11.25 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    It seems to work very well with the Speed with the stock 127mm. Going with a Aero-Ektar or 15" Tele-Optar (or another piece of big glass) seems to be iffy, but it supports it either way with very little movement. It looks a little odd being on a pair of skinny sticks, but I bought it for use with my Rolleiflex, but it's nice to know I can use it with my speed.
    I have used a copy of a Deardorf Special on very skinny legs -- it is amazing what one can get away with. It is not going to collaspe on you, but be prone to vibration, more likely to move with a breeze, etc. Used with that in mind, one can still get good sharp negs with care to let the system settle down after loading the film holder, cocking the shutter, etc. Sounds like you built up some good karma points which should help!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

No true images can be taken with a View Camera unless one uses a Ries wooden tripod. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    No true images can be taken with a View Camera unless one uses a Ries wooden tripod. ;-)
    There is some truth to it as wood dampens vibration better than metal. Carbon fibres have excellent damping characteristics too.