Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jobo Expert drum demo video posted - have a look inside an expert drum

Re: Jobo Expert drum demo video posted - have a look inside an expert drum

For me, the only thing this video confirms is how much oxidation there actually is in the rotary process. I'll stick to dip n dunk thank you.

I've been considering a small Nitrogen burst system, I envision building (Tig welding) the tanks and plumbing the system, my previous experience at the old Omega Arkay, taught me it should not be so difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    For me, the only thing this video confirms is how much oxidation there actually is in the rotary process. I'll stick to dip n dunk thank you.
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

But it doesn't matter with most developers I've tried. Even with replenished XTOL the oxidation isn't a problem. The only developer I've had any issue with oxidation in the expert drums is PMK. There I needed to change the developer out midway through the process.

The quick draining time was nice to see, as well as the uniform distribution of liquid in each tube.

I seem to remember seeing special versions of Apple's eMate 300 and Newton Message Pads produced in colorless plastic resin as well.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I think that Jobo supplied all their US dealers with the see-through 3010 drum for display purposes. K&S Photography in Palo Alto where I bought my CPA2 had one.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    I think that Jobo supplied all their US dealers with the see-through 3010 drum for display purposes. K&S Photography in Palo Alto where I bought my CPA2 had one.

Thomas
    Very true (It was/is a 3006 though).

Do you have to use these on a motorized base? It seems like it would be hopelessly cumbersome trying to add in chemistry while hand rolling, and maybe even too inconvenient without having the full tray with its "pour in the top" filling and "tilt up" to empty mechanism like in the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick13 View Post
    the full tray with its "pour in the top" filling and "tilt up" to empty mechanism like in the video.
    This is a Jobo processor and lift - it sure makes like easier and makes processing more accurate and repeatable.

That said - a great many Expert users around the world hand roll Expert drums on motorized bases or on manual roller bases (Jobo 1509).
    First fill, then start rotating, then pour out. Some even go as far as attaching a funnel with a hose to the wall where they work, to allow to introduce the chemistry while the drum is rotating, which is basically what the Jobo machine and lift do for you.

No reason not to just hand roll.

Lachlan 717

You probably need to tell the myriad HAPPY users of Jobo's equipment of your concerns. They'll be surprised, of course, as they're getting great results, and have been for decades now.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Blank View Post
    I've been considering a small Nitrogen burst system, I envision building (Tig welding) the tanks and plumbing the system, my previous experience at the old Omega Arkay, taught me it should not be so difficult.
    I'd be very interested in seeing the results of your small volume nitrogen burst system. Years ago I looked at the ingliss system but decided it just wasn't worth the money for an untested system.

I've had good results using a nitrogen gas feed along with the jobo drums when using PMK in 5x7. Until I found a 5x7 combi-plan, this was the only process I used my cpp-2 for. The combi-plan is a much simpler and less time consuming solution to the problem of oxidation and large format film. With other developers, after getting over the gee-whiz factor of the jobo, I quickly came to the realization that rotary processing creates a sameness to b/w film developing that rolls over the subtleties one can get with more gentle, controlled agitation patterns (think stand and semi-stand). With color, oxidation and small chem. volumes are deal breaker.

A tried and true small nitrogen burst system in a temp controlled water jacket would be a jobo killer for sure. I know lots of people in the metal fab industry - let me know if you need help realizing a prototype.