Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Kudos to QT Luong

More Kudos to QT Luong

Hi All,

I just wanted to extend my congratulations to QT Luong for being profiled in the British photographic magazine entitled, "Digital Photographer." It's in Issue 22, Page 36.

Well deserved!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Beverly Hills, California

More Kudos to QT Luong

digital?

More Kudos to QT Luong

"digital?"

Sure, why not. QT has digits. Besides, it seems only fitting that an LF guy should infringe on digital for a change. ;-)

Congrats, QT.

More Kudos to QT Luong

There were couple of oddities: in "Digital Photographer" article, 2 of the 3 images were shot on 5x7 film, while the remaining image was shot on 35mm film. Also this was an article about citycapes, while my forte is natural landscapes, and I didn't feel that the contents of the interview, where I tried to tell a good story, were reflected in the article.

I believe that the two formats of choice in the near future are LF in film and digital 35mm. Anyone agree ?

More Kudos to QT Luong

I agree, Quan. The photography that I used to do in 35mm no longer makes sense to do with film because digital is just as good. The photography that I do in LF doesn't make sense to do in digital because of the limitations (scanning backs, computer equipment & batteries needed on location) and cost. It makes more sense to start the digital portion of the LF process with a scan of the film. It seems ironic - after all these years of LF film being available in limited versions, limited retail outlets, and limited sizes - that chances are LF film will be the only film manufactured at some point. It's only a matter of time.

Jean-Louis Llech

More Kudos to QT Luong

Tuan, I don't totally agree with you.
    Now, Ilford, Agfa, Fuji, Kodak increasingly and gradually give up the traditional silver-film industry.
    And we can read each day that a film fabrication has been stopped. For ever.
    I am sad about that, but nothing can be made to stop or even to slow down this inescapable tendency.

I believe that in the future, all large format and medium format cameras will be good choices only if a digital back can be mounted on them.

Octogenarian

More Kudos to QT Luong

Hi Tuan,

I agree, it looks like 35mm, film will soon begin to disappear, in favor of the small digital camera. Roll film will probably be next, as most commercial MF users are now using digital backs. Since the cost of a MF digital back is prohibitive, they are finding that 35mm. sized digital cameras can, at least, equal the quality of MF digital cameras. Even now, medium format film cameras are beginning to shrink in size. Hasselblad's new smaller sized camera is designed with digital capabilities.

Digital backs for LF cameras, that can equal the quality and convenience of film, are proving to be difficult to create. They don't seem to be cost effective at the present time. Manufacturers may give up on large digital backs in favor of the smaller sizes that are easier to produce and capable of equal, or better quality results at a lower cost.

Large format film will probably be the last size film to disappear. However, It will be a slow process. There will still be a few manufacturers of film in the world for a long time to come. All film based photography will be relegated to the archaic alternative process category. LF cameras and film have already been there for quite a while.

More Kudos to QT Luong

Hi QT,

Although you may well be right in your comment regarding LF and 35mm digital I'm hoping that this won't be the case for many, many years to come.

I know there are still a lot of folks using 35mm film (I'm one of them :>)) and, even though B&W film seems to be on the decline, there will most likely be color film available for years to come.

My film of choice these days is XP2 Super or Kodak 400CN. However, I'm not entirely opposed to using a color film and converting this into a B&W image (if I have to... through PS). However, I'd much prefer NOT to.

Time will certainly be the arbiter of what happens in the future.

BTW... I see you're in France these days. Have you ever thought of visiting us up here in Canada. I can tell you that there is much to photograph up here in our neck of the woods too. :>)

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

More Kudos to QT Luong

I am definitely in the minority, in that I still like viewing my 35mm slides projected onto a large matte white screen in a darkened room. This is of course a personal pleasure or with a small group of friends, and doesn't serve the needs of printing or publishing. Until true 60"+ high quality HDTVs (there's still a lot of improvement room left) become available at reasonable prices, I will prefer viewing my slides with a film projector. And, maybe even forever.

For large format I get the most kick out of viewing 8x10 color transparencies, and secondarily to a well made print from 4x5 or larger (either contact or enlarged).

Most people are interested only in prints (or publishing), so for that, the best in 35mm digital outdoes 35mm film. So, I agree that 35mm film will be phased out gradually over time. (or perhaps not so gradually, who knows).

More Kudos to QT Luong

I agree with QT and voted with my pocketbook - Nikon DSLR and Arca 4x5 - I only use 35mm in point and shoots for kayaking or biking where I don't want to damage an expensive camera. The 6mp DSLRs are at least as good as 35mm, and close enough to medium format that I rather jump up and use a 4x5 to get a clear advantage.

I don't think film manufacturing will shut down anytime soon, but finding color chemistry and parts for processors is going to get difficult. Eventually, we'll only have B&W silver materials, which will go along with platinum and other alternative processes.