Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you deal with snow / inclement weather?

How do you deal with snow / inclement weather?

If this is in the wrong forum, mods please feel free to move it.

So I'm relatively new to LF photography. This will be my first winter shooting with my 4x5.

I've looked online and seen a Thone of pictures of guys in snowsuits carrying around their LF cameras with snow completely covering the Bellows.

But my question is how do you deal with this, do you put some kind of coating over it? Or do you just let the moisture collect and then try the camera after you get back from the outside?

I can see only needing to cover the lens which can be done with a bellows shade extension, and the back area of the camera covered by a dark cloth, and the dark cloth is washable dryable etc.

But what about the rest?

What should I do? It's snowing out right now and I want to shoot it but don't want to ruin my equipment either.

Thanks!

Re: How do you deal with snow / inclement weather?

I usually use a speed graphic outside and it's bellows are slightly rubberized. Never a problem. Just gotta keep the lens clean/dry. A barrel lens is easier in that respect as there are no levers for shutter. Since I like soft focus, Reinhold's meniscus is very snow proof and has a long shade built into it. (The glass is recessed)

I am usually a major proponent of the tiltall tripod but it's not an ideal winter tripod. The leg fittings can freeze up and can be hard to adjust with mittens/gloves. Something with levers for locking the legs would be better.

I do use my B&J 8x10 in the snow sometimes too. When using that, I keep the lens off it till the last minute. I use my jacket for a dark cloth and am a suffering artist for just a couple minutes while composing/focusing. The bellows have gotten wet but it hasn't hurt anything.

I have a "jet sled" sled for transport on snow. It's a heavy duty sled you can pull with a rope or tow behind a snowmobile, which I don't have. Snow shoes, XC skis, and a vehicle with studded snow tires is also helpful. It's a very enjoyable time of year. Gaiters over your boots/pantlegs are also great for keeping your feet dry.

Just like your clothes, let the cameras dry out fully when you're done for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    I usually use a speed graphic outside and it's bellows are slightly rubberized. Never a problem. Just gotta keep the lens clean/dry. A barrel lens is easier in that respect as there are no levers for shutter. Since I like soft focus, Reinhold's meniscus is very snow proof and has a long shade built into it. (The glass is recessed)

I am usually a major proponent of the tiltall tripod but it's not an ideal winter tripod. The leg fittings can freeze up and can be hard to adjust with mittens/gloves. Something with levers for locking the legs would be better.

I do use my B&J 8x10 in the snow sometimes too. When using that, I keep the lens off it till the last minute. I use my jacket for a dark cloth and am a suffering artist for just a couple minutes while composing/focusing. The bellows have gotten wet but it hasn't hurt anything.

I have a "jet sled" sled for transport on snow. It's a heavy duty sled you can pull with a rope or tow behind a snowmobile, which I don't have. Snow shoes, XC skis, and a vehicle with studded snow tires is also helpful. It's a very enjoyable time of year. Gaiters over your boots/pantlegs are also great for keeping your feet dry.

Just like your clothes, let the cameras dry out fully when you're done for the day.
    So in other words you just basically leave it open the entire time completely set up and attached to the tripod when you're traveling with it walking around?

I'm very used to packing it up in between takes so I just haven't walked around with it much.

Toyo45a to be exact.

Why wouldn't you cover as much as you could, including bellows?????

I use an oversize Harrison dark cloth and wrap the camera in it. When I am setting up I form it into a hood to keep snow off the lens as well as the camera and me (as long as I am under it). I have also done this in the rain and it works very well. You of course could buy one of Mike Walker's excellent Titan Cameras made of ABS plastic and you wouldn't need to worry as much about inclement weather.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

If I get off my butt to work outside in snowing weather, and if I don't need perspective controls I use a weatherproof 4x5. It has a sealed focusing tube and a rangefinder. BUT as a true olde pharte Minnesotan, I hate Winter and when so compelled to go out, I rest until the urge passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    If I get off my butt to work outside in snowing weather, and if I don't need perspective controls I use a weatherproof 4x5. It has a sealed focusing tube and a rangefinder. BUT as a true olde pharte Minnesotan, I hate Winter and when so compelled to go out, I rest until the urge passes.
    Yea I'm tired and lazy from being on the road for a month, and it's the first morning to rest... But.... This happened...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386685714.317305.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	106355

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    I use an oversize Harrison dark cloth and wrap the camera in it. When I am setting up I form it into a hood to keep snow off the lens as well as the camera and me (as long as I am under it). I have also done this in the rain and it works very well. You of course could buy one of Mike Walker's excellent Titan Cameras made of ABS plastic and you wouldn't need to worry as much about inclement weather.
    I didn't know dark cloths were water tight?

Harrison's are. They are by far my favorite dark cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I didn't know dark cloths were water tight?

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

order a couple yards of "ultrabounce" from modern studio equipment in burbank. black on one side, white on the other. it doesn't absorb water. you've seen it on set.
    I don't worry about the camera but usually use a lee hood on my lenses to keep the snow off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails me, wehman, snow copy.jpg