Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon IPF8300-Must all ink be purged to move it???

Re: Canon IPF8300-Must all ink be purged to move it???

Good wishes with the 8300, roachbat. We have a 6300 (24" version) which works very well. We did have to replace one print head after about 18 months of very light use. That seemed a bit premature considering the actual usage, but fortunately the print heads are user replaceable (unlike the comparable Epsons).
    I know just enough to be dangerous !

Quote Originally Posted by DennisD View Post
    Good wishes with the 8300, roachbat. We have a 6300 (24" version) which works very well. We did have to replace one print head after about 18 months of very light use. That seemed a bit premature considering the actual usage, but fortunately the print heads are user replaceable (unlike the comparable Epsons).
    fyi All of the ink cartridges did not have to be drained. After FOUR conversations with the woman scheduling the move-in which every one she insisted all ink had to be purged from the cartridges-I called the tech direct. He said she didn't know what she was talking about and that all ink would need to be drained in the printer-reserve tanks etc. but the cartridges could be removed. She was very good at trying to sell me additional ink every time though!

It does take an amazing amount of ink to refill the machine though so I'm glad I didn't have to purge those cartridges and that the printer came with a full set of 700 ml tanks. I've also gone through 2 waste cartrdiges in the process but was aware this would likely be the case. I am having a problem with my left print head but it would appear to be under warranty (only 204 days of use and WAY under the max amount of ink through it. I'll be calling Canon today on that, but I've got some jobs that are falling behind because of it.

Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by roachbat View Post
    . I am having a problem with my left print head but it would appear to be under warranty (only 204 days of use and WAY under the max amount of ink through it. I'll be calling Canon today on that, but I've got some jobs that are falling behind because of it.
    Be sure to run periodic tests on your print heads if you think there's a problem or if you get error messages or shutdowns.

Our problem started long before I realized there was an issue with one of the heads. We would get an occasional and random error message, I.e. Unrelated to anything we were doing. However the problem always seemed to resolve itself. When it was apparent that the left head was defective, Canon was not at all responsive or sympathetic re the light amount of ink usage (thru the head). They went strictly by the age of the head even though the errors were indicative of the developing head problem.

With approx 5 months left on your warranty, you have plenty of time to monitor the performance. Be sure to document and report any error messages to Canon tech support. They keep pretty careful records on your calls.

The replacement head on our machine was approx $450. Yours could be more. Therefore it will pay to keep close tabs and report any issues to Canon.
    I know just enough to be dangerous !

I have the iPF8300 as well. The ink reservoirs do hold a lot of ink.
    If you can move the machine without tipping or tilting you should be okay.
    BTW
    There is a way that you can reuse the waste carts. As long as they do not go to full, the counter can be reset and new packing material used.